anthology: Male Lust

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 00:30:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: anthology:  Male Lust

Hi there!

I am putting together an anthology about men's sexuality, and I am hoping
you might be able to get me in touch with potential contributors and/or be
possibly interested in writing something yourself. The title of the book is
_Male Lust:  Obsessions/Transformations/Politics_. The anthology will
include stories and essays exploring a wide range of topics, all intended
to reveal the social and emotional realities of men's sexual lives.
Autobiographical sketches are welcome, as are social/political
commentaries, poetry, erotica, or any combinations of the above. The
anthology covers a broad range of topics, but the basic idea is simply to
provide discussions of men's sex lives which go beyond (and dig underneath)
the traditional stereotypes.

I will put the complete call for submissions at the end of this email. If
you could forward it to any other folks who might be interested, I'd be
very appreciative. If it would be easier I can also send them the call for
submissions directly; just send me a postal or email address.

The deadline for contributions is currently March 31st, but we are going to
have to push that date back--probably to the end of the summer--so you
don't have to fret about that. If you can at least contact us before March
31st, that would be fine.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions or simply hear any comments you
might have about the project, so please don't hesitate to get in touch with
me.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Kerwin Brook

Here is the call for submissions:

MALE LUST!!

Submissions wanted for an anthology about male sexuality. We seek
non-fiction essays which address political and theoretical issues as well
as autobiography, poetry, visual art and erotic fiction which more directly
connect readers with our personal and emotional lives as men (a small
number of essays by women will also be included). Some questions we hope to
consider:

*  In what ways are men defined by their sexuality?
*  How does a split between "good boys" (husbands/fathers) and "bad boys"
(lustful men/perverts) impact us and our relationships?
*  How does sexual "success" or "failure" shape our self-perceptions?
*  Why do men often experience a large gap between their sexual desires and
reality? How do men negotiate this gap?
*  What is the role of sex-shame in our lives? In what ways do fear and
silence not only limit, but actively create our sexuality?
*  How do commercial sexual images influence our desires?  In what ways do
we resist/accept this system, and to what ends?
*  What is the impact of white supremacy and other societal oppressions on
the forms and expression of male lust?
*  Why does sexual repression so often lead to sexual obsession?
*  How have we learned to cope with our sexual vulnerabilities?
*  How might we nurture sexualities which are playful and life-affirming?

We seek writings on male lust in relation to a variety of other topics,
including:  masculinity, race/class/ethnicity, sexual orientation,
transgendered experiences, aging, disability, pornography and the sex
industry, S/M and other unconventional sexualities, feminism, HIV/AIDS,
sexual abuse/rape, and spirituality/addiction. We are interested in any and
all topics that address the political, social and emotional realities of
men's sexual desire and its expression.

Kerwin Brook is editing this collection. Kerwin is a freelance writer and
activist. During the past nine years he has been active in anti-racist,
feminist, men's movement, and bisexual/queer politics. In 1988 he organized
the first Rocky Mountain Men's Conference in Boulder, CO (now in its
seventh year). Associate editors are Mark Silver, editor of Anything That
Moves:  The Magazine for the Uncompromising Bisexual, and Jill Nagle,
editor of Whores and Other Feminists (Routledge, 1997). All three live in
San Francisco.

Submissions may be emailed to <email> sent on a 3.5" MAC or PC
disk (MS Word unformatted), or typed double-spaced. Please do not send
originals if sending artwork.  Be sure to include a cover sheet with your
name, address, phone#, and a brief (30 word) biography.  Also please
include a SASE if email is unavailable.  Send submissions to the above
email or to PO Box 424195, SF, CA 94142-4195. For more information, call
Kerwin at (415) 863-8197.

Submission deadline:  March 31st, 1997.

PLEASE COPY * POST * PUBLISH * DISTRIBUTE * NEAR & FAR * FAR & WIDE * IN ANY
DIMENSIONS WHERE THOSE WITH FRESH IDEAS ON MALE LUST ARE FOUND