Re: stereotypes

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:58:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: stereotypes

Hi,

I was very interested in this "Vietnamese culture and value system" in the
beginning (thanks the author for that) but it seems now we are focusing on
things like the "stereotypes" too much that makes me a bit sick in my
stomach. It reminds me of all the stereotypes that are going around here,
especially as a gay and Vietnamese person, don't we see and hear enough of that.

If it possible, can we concentrate on the subject as a whole. And now, my 2-cent
worth. I do see Minh's point and he's right. A lot of us Vietnamese are liked
that. We are very much into that "material girl" syndrome. Nice homes, nice
cars, diamonds, etc.. I don't see anything wrong with it, without that, we are
not Vietnamese :) just kidding. But I also know some that are not that at all.
They are more into what I called the "intellectual" side and I bravo them
for that. I always want to see more of that, especially from our next generation
who don't have to emphasize much with the "survivability" issue like most of us
came to America as refugees. I did.

Anyway, I always hate those "quantitative" research but somehow, I always see
a lot of that going on. Hope that the author doing the research here don't
follow into that footstep because it doesn't help us at all to thrive for the
better.

As a Vietnamese, I do value (1) family tie/support; (2) education; (3)
good relationship.

A funny note here is that I do have most of those that Minh mentions. But with
the spiritual me, I don't mind/care if I loose those tomorrow. They are
here just for my comfort.

Sincerely,

Charles