Re: learning vietnamese language

Hi there.  I too have been trying to learn Vietnamese, more as a hobby I
would say than a full time serious undertaking.  I always look where
ever I go for materials and have actually discovered quite a few books.
The beginning books Mark spoke about are excellent and a great way to
start.  The asian language department at Cornell University also has an
intermediate Vietnamese language book called "Intermediate Spoken
Vietnamese" by Franklin Juffman and Tran Trong Hai.  Another excellent
set of books by Liem Dang Nguyen might be obtained from Seton Hall.
They were published in 1971 and were in the basement during a flood so
might be a bit water stained.  There are two intermediate and one
advanced readers in the set and they are great for learning the culture
as well as the language.  There is another book called "Spoken
Vietnamese" by Robert Jones and Huyn Sanh Thong from Spoken Language
Services.  I don't know if they are still in business but the address in
the front of the book is PO Box 783, Ithaca, New York  14850.  Another
way I have found to pick up true conversational Vietnamese is through
the IRC.  You can go into a Vietnamese chat room and record the
conversation and then go back later and translate.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do... :)

Rob <email>

--
Contact Rob at <email>