Re: CYCLO

Hello Apelo,

I must admit I am a bit surprised by your film review about "cyclo".

I saw it a few months ago when it was released in France. And it has been a
great success.

I also saw "l'odeur de la papaye verte" and enjoyed because it was a
descritpion of a past VietNam inthe colonial times with adifferent pace of
life, and different concerns. But the human nature is still there ...

My feeling is that Tran Anh Hung is more depicting the human nature than
just an action with a time and alocation. The first film took palce in
colonial times, "cyclo" takes place in now a days Saigon, but the
background is the same. The speed of the film, the hectic moves of the
camera, the sometimes surprising editing is reflecting a feeling you can
have now in Saigon. Everything  and every one is moving fast and in all
directions... Being a foreigner an dnot (yet) speaking vietnamese in
cannever understand the reasons fr all the fast movements of the people.
However, you feel like a turmoil when being in there and you feel the same
when seeing the Tran movie. The only thing I felt as being far away from my
feelings / experiences were all the mafia scenes...

To my feeling "Cyclo"is really one of best film on current nowadays Vietnam.

Just go on with the topic .....

Thierry, in Marseille, France.