RE: PLEASE POST: UPCOMING SCREENING IN SF (fwd)

On Sunday, December 15, 1996 10:36 PM, Anonymous =
<email> wrote:

>A SCREENING OF SLANTED VISION
>& OTHER RECENT VIDEOS BY MING-YUEN S. MA
>
>FRIDAY, DECEMBER 20, 8:00 PM
>ARTISTS' TELEVISION ACCESS
>992 VALENCIA STREET <email> 21 STREET
>San Francisco
>
>Los Angeles media artist Ming-Yuen S. Ma will present SLANTED VISION =
and
>other recent video shorts, including a newly-completed collaboration
>with playwright Han Ong, NOT XL.
>
>$5/door.  For more information call ATA (415) 824-3890
>http://www.atasite.org
>
>************************************************************************=
*****

>SLANTED VISION (1995)
>A Video by Ming-Yuen S. Ma
>
>In collaboration with Pablo Bautista, Justin Chin, Vicente
>Grolveo, Quentin Lee, Napoleon Lustre, Laura U. Marks, Nguyen Tan =
Hoang, Han
>Ong, and Dean Sameshima.
>
>Running time: 50 min.
>
>Color/B&W, English, Betacam video, Stereo
>
>Slanted Vision is an energetic experimental
>video that explores the relation between vision and
>desire with eroticized images of Asian men.  Working in
>collaboration with a diverse group of artists, writers,
>performers and musicians, many of them queer and
>Asian, Los Angeles-based media artist Ming-Yuen S. Ma
>has created a promiscuous montage inspired by gay porn
>videos, kung fu movies and TV cooking shows.

<snip!>

I had the privilege to see this film a few weeks ago at the Seattle =
Asian-American Film Festival in a night of gay-related films.  The =
director was there and fielded questions from the audience.  It's =
self-consciously experimental and avant-garde style doesn't obscure its =
seriousness and the depth of the points that it makes.  His was the only =
film of real note; the others were mostly one-horse lesbian films that =
competed in their artsiness and triviality. =20

As a Caucasian who dates and loves Asian men, I was deeply moved by =
seeing an Asian man's side of the legacy of the "rice queens" in whose =
abusive, muddy footsteps I have followed.  I've met so many wonderful =