Re: making love language (Vietnamese or English?)

Hi all,

I really don't know what to say to respond to the posting below, but I
guess I can take a shot at it.

My first reaction to the posting was to ask, "who the hell would ask such
a stupid question?"  I would like to ask why anyone would even think of
asking a question like that.  Would this person "ttnt" ask that question
of a Polish or a Czech American?  If not, it would hint to me that
this person has internalized Orientalist fantasies of Vietnamese
Americans, especially in terms of our sexuality.  Also, why are you asking
the people on this list what language all Vietnamese Americans use while
making love?  For one thing, not all Vietnamese Americans can even speak
Vietnamese.  Now that we have been established in the US in significant
numbers for
over 20 years, a new generation of American-born, American-raised
Vietnamese Americans is coming about, some of whom do not speak
Vietnamese.  Also, as a 1.5 generation Vietnamese American, I am able to
speak, read and write Vietnamese, but I have met quite a few other 1.5s
who can't (including several of my own brothers).  For another
thing, why does the writer assume that we can speak for all Vietnamese
Americans?  Just a news flash: we are not all the same!  We are
individuals who sometimes, believe it or not, think independently!  I
really hate it when people ask me a question and take my answer to mean
that ALL other Vietnamese and Asian Americans think the same.  Give me a
break!!

Also, why do you want to learn it in Vietnamese?  By asking the question
you are telling me that you are NOT Vietnamese-speaking, and since
statistically most Vietnamese Americans can speak Vietnamese, I'll just
assume you're not one of us  (forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm taking my
best guess, based upon your original posting).  This really sounds like a
question that would come from a
Rice Queen.  Even if I told you how to say these things (which I NEVER
would) do you really think you're going to impress your future Vietnamese
American "lovers?"  Chances are, anyone blind or mentally-colonized enough
to do the deed with you isn't going to care what the hell you say in bed.

It irritates me when non-Vietnamese want to learn a few token phrases of
Vietnamese to try and impress us (most of the time, they butcher our
language, but some of us are just too nice or whitewashed to tell them how
stupid they sound) with how culturally-open they are.  It sounds like the
case of the colonizer using the language of the colonized to subjugate and
objectify them.

Hope this helps in your quest to "make love."

Kieu-Anh H. King