CFP: Asian Queer Studies (Singapore) (9/15/02; 8/19/03-8/22/03)

From: Dr Mark McLelland (m.mclelland@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 18:45:32 EDT

AsiaPacifiQueer at International Convention of Asia Scholars, 19-22 =
August 2003, Singapore

>From 19 - 22 August 2003 the third International Convention of Asia =
Scholars' conference is being held in Singapore =
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/icas3/. It is anticipated that over 1000 =
scholars of Asia will attend the event. AsiaPacifiQueer (APQ), an =
Australia-based group of academics and students researching queer =
peoples and cultures in the Asia-Pacific region, =
(http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections/apq/apqhomepage.html) would =
like to encourage scholars working on queer topics and issues in the =
Asian region to participate in this event. In particular, the APQ team =
is interested in helping organize a stream of queer-themed panels within =
the ICAS 3 conference. APQ believes that a series of tightly themed =
panels looking at queer issues (e.g. comparative Asian transgenderisms, =
the use of new technologies by Asian sexual minorities, legal issues =
affecting queer-identified Asian individuals, etc.) will help to raise =
the profile of queer studies within the field of Asian studies. We also =
think that a dedicated stream of queer-themed panel presentations, =
rather than having queer papers dispersed throughout the conference =
program according to their geographical focus, will contribute most to =
raising our collective profile and building networks of Asian queer =
studies scholars.

=20

The APQ team would like to invite researchers who are thinking about =
presenting on queer topics at ICAS to contact us in advance of =
submitting their abstracts so that we may put people in contact with =
each other with a view to developing a number of themed panels. Given =
that this ICAS conference is the first to actually be staged in Asia, we =
very much hope that queer-studies scholars working in the region will be =
able to attend, present their work and network with other researchers =
who share their interests. If you are interested in joining us at ICAS 3 =
please contact Mark McLelland m.mclelland@uq.edu.au at APQ who will be =
coordinating the proposals for queer-themed presentations, before =
September 15, 2002.

=20

Dr Mark McLelland
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
University of Queensland 4072
Australia

phone: 07-3365-7175
fax: 07-3365-7184