Visit the GamerDad homepage. GamerDad
A Bird! A Plane! A... Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To rent or to own ... and why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txa1265

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: To rent or to own ... and why? Reply with quote

I know I'm *really* late to this game, but today I rented my first game - Dead to Rights Reckoning for the PSP. (I had rented a Scooby Doo GameBoy game for the kids last year, but that felt different). Being a long-time PC gamer, I have always accepted the fact that if I want to play a game, I buy it. So when I came back from Disney I dutifully shelled out $40 for Coded Arms, a crappy PSP game that lasted a few hours and that I'll never play again. But I found out that the second closest Blockbuster had PSP games for rent, and decided to take a look - they are all there, and for pretty cheap too.

This made me think - how do all of you decide to rent or buy? And what other thoughts are there on renting?

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gamermum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from an entirely selfish and self interested point of view, as my hubby works as a games artist, I'd prefer it if you all bought the games Wink
txa1265

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamermum wrote:
Well, from an entirely selfish and self interested point of view, as my hubby works as a games artist, I'd prefer it if you all bought the games Wink
As my IGN Colection will attest ... I do plenty to support my local (and not so local) game dev ...

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SiW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely rent games. My reasoning is this - I don't have a massive budget for gaming, so why spend 4 or 5 bucks to rent a game for 3 days when I could buy something for 15? You can come back and say "But Simon! What about renting brand new games that you couldn't buy for less than $50?!" and I answer "I feel like if I'm renting a game I might buy, I'm just throwing money away".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
momGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rentals for several reasons:
- Vetting things for content that are borderline enough that I don't know about it in advance.
- Limiting consumption of certain games that I don't mind if they go through them once but I don't want on continuous play in the house due to questionable or seriously annoying content.
- Budget issues; I have on a couple of occaisions rented something just because I couldn't afford to buy it right now and I really couldn't stand to wait until the price went down or the budget got straightened out.

I do the same thing with movies. We have a category we call "Rent Once" and it's used for things that are ratings exceptions that I've decided to make, or for stuff that's ratings-okay but annoying to me or I just don't want them to watch for three months straight.
Klonoa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the NES and SNES days when I was a kid and had a limited income, I rented TONS of games. This was before Blockbuster came along, so renting games at the local Pay Less Video was much, much cheaper than buying them. Nowadays, I buy games usually instead of renting them. You can wait for the price of a game to go down so that it's not much more expensive than renting. Plus, Blockbuster tends to only carry the most popular, well-known titles, so the only way to play my kind of weird quirky games like Cubivore or Graffiti Kingdom is to buy them. So that's usually what I do now. --Cary
txa1265

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klonoa wrote:
the only way to play my kind of weird quirky games ... is to buy them
I know that feeling - many of the games I look forward to most I have a hard time even finding in stores for quite some time after release. It is an interesting turn when you use pre-ordering not as a means to ensure you'll get a copy in a flood of purchasers, but rather to ensure that your store will get a copy for you to buy.

I still see the vast majority of my games - even for the PSP, which remains my only 'rentable' option - being purchased ... it is just nice to know that for games I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend full price on, I can just do a quick rental.

Mike
Stark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started using gamefly and buying games that i'd like to have for a long time
m_hael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to rent - then I realised that most games I'd rent I really didn't like too much.. those I'd really wanted normally came with their own peer recommendations so.. I saved myself the $$$ and stopped.

I've played 2 games ALL this year. Sad
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning"
Tater-Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_hael wrote:

Isn't there some sort of job requirement to play more than 2 per yr? Wink

I rent cause I don't have enough spare cash to buy new. I find out then if it'll be worth the 30-50 bucks to buy it new, or if I should wait for the inevitable markdown. MOST of our games are used, and with very few exceptions, I always rent before I buy.
Brett Hollembeak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely rent, but as with DVD's, it's mostly a matter of my inability to get the rentals back on time. Netflix solved that particular problem with DVDs, and I should seriously consider GameFly.

I just haven't gotten around to it.

Since I buy my games to keep, I have a little collection of "turkeys" that I've bought before the reviews came in (I bought the hype, and then I bought the game!)

I hate spending full dollar on a game that is just ok, or slightly below ok.

I can see rental as a full-length "demo" that would persuade me to plunk down my money for the whole game. I get the feeling, though, that there aren't a whole lot of games that would engage my interest enough from the rental for me to purchase. Also, a lot of good games are getting shorter. "Riddick" is a prime example of that. I bought that game, but I should have rented it. It didn't last long, but the money was all up on the screen (so to speak) and it was very good. I haven't played it again, since I blew through it once. Did I get my money's worth? That's debatable. It should have been either more challenging, or longer, IMO.
SiW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Hollembeak wrote:
I rarely rent, but as with DVD's, it's mostly a matter of my inability to get the rentals back on time. Netflix solved that particular problem with DVDs, and I should seriously consider GameFly.

This is also my position, but I can't bear the thought of paying more than 20 bucks a month to rent games when that's often my monthly game budget anyway, so I'd rather get to keep them. Especially when I already subscribe to Netflix.

If Blockbuster or Netflix adds games as part of their regular payment scheme, I think they would clean up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
m_hael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tater-Dad wrote:
m_hael wrote:

Isn't there some sort of job requirement to play more than 2 per yr? Wink

ahh.. if I were a games programmer then yeah... however I'm an engine programmer - no games required.. just an interest in R&D and some kickass low level understanding. Very Happy
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning"
Tater-Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually if I could get enough spare cash a month I would do both, the dvd & game service from Blockbuster. I'd still prolly buy dvd's but I'd buy a lot less games, but I'd play a lot more games too...
Yegolev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy games for two reasons. I have more money than time, and I like to collect games. I don't even buy used games anymore, because the occasion that I have problems cause a serious derailment of my tight schedule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GamerDad Forum Index -> Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: