New Landing Forum Index New Landing
New Landing Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weyr Horror Stories
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Weyr Horror Stories Reply with quote

Do you have any horror stories that will make the rest of us cringe? Do share!
Stacy Dane
Lute Amano and bronze Anzuth
Lori-Anne McGraw and green Glorith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maaike
Wher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: baby killers anyone? Reply with quote

Well, I do have one, and it's on the OW site as well, but I thought I'd share it here, just in case some people haven't seen it yet. It's...pretty bad.

I was part of a Weyr that started off really nicely. We had good BoD (if a bit easy-going), and in general everything went fine. Until someone joined that from all looks didn't actually *read* any of the books or understand the general concept of Pern. This person created a character (let's call him B'din), who at first was supposedly a dragonless man from some other weyr in search of his step-son who he (of course) abused. That was ok, mostly. I mean, it happens. By the time we found out what was *Really* going on, it was too late. turns out that this B'din is actually a psychopathic killer that's been going from weyr to weyr trying to kill dragonriders, and passing himself off as dragonless. Not only that...somehow, while he's weyr jumping, he's managing to poison his son's mother to keep her sick (why? How? we don't know). Anyway. He tries to kill the Weyrwoman at the weyr because apparently dragonriders are completely evil. The worst part was, apparently none of the other weyrs saw fit to warn anyone else about this guy, and he was able to run amok (did I mention he went around mutilating people AND DRAGONS? And oh...you know...killing dogs, puppies, flits, oh and of course raping women, and children, killing babies... yup. He managed to do that too; ALL without getting caught!).

To top it all off ('What, there's more?' I hear you say), after a while, this person's posts made no sense. The plot was going in 8 different directions at once, people kept jumping back and forth between being part of this dragon-killer gang, and being good guys, and B'din just kept expanding his ludicrousness until it was completely insane.

The BoD of the weyr didn't look like they were gonna do anything about it, so I mentioned (ever so nicely) that perhaps this wasn't *exactly* following canon (by that time, we'd managed to shut down the post). Now, I'm all for exciting plots, with maybe a murder or two, but a pretend dragonless man that manages to transfer weyrs with no questions asked and manages to kill/mutilate riders, dragons, children while still managing to poison his ex-wifre is a teeny bit extreme. At least, I think so. I could be wrong.

To top it all off...the person was one of those members who also doesn't understand the concept of grammar. Or spelling...

And now, for your viewing pleasure, a quote, from that same member, who also played the rider that managed to follow B'din. Just to prove I didn't dream this. (Names have been altered). Though the name that 'Satan' replaced sounded suspiciously like 'Satan'.

> "What I am about to say may shock you, Weyrleader." He
> sighed and shook his head. "He lied about flying into
> thread by himself with his own dragon. I found out
> that B'din _never_ was a dragonrider. He forged some
> document that told everyone that he was. From then on,
> he was issued a phony rank and title and the others
> never doubted it." Sh'rek said seriously. He took a
> sip of his wine. "He set up this non-existant document
> and had everyone sign it. He said it was for
> 'celebration reasons', which was a bunch of dragon
> dung. What it actually was, was a hit list of everyone
> in the Weyr. He used his rank to get into rooms any
> the green and blues weren't allowed in, like the
> Records Room and the Weyrwoman's office. He cheated
> his way into our Weyr. I've seen worse, Weyrleader
> Bl'ak, I've seen a _lot_ worse." he sighed. "I knew
> the man who used to be him. But now, I'm not so
> sure..." he sipped his wine. "B'din isn't even his
> name. It's an alias. One he's been using for 3 turns.
> His real name is Satan."
"From what I found out, he was never caught
until now. As you can see, the charges against him are severly
extensive ranging from murder to raping women _and children,
slaughtering babies to maiming dragons. He would have done the same thing here"

there? see, I wasn't lying. Top THAT, if you can!
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. ::snorts:: That was SO funny. Wouldn't somebody eventually ask Satan where his dragon was?
Stacy Dane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Silmaneero
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, he got Thread-scored and slipped into the seventh circle of hell. I still visit him from time to time."

That *is* bad. *snickersnort* I've been fortunate enough to not have had to deal with anyone like that in my Pern clubs.
katiehollands
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does living through the Oct '97 rulings, losing characters and dropping out of clubs because of it count? Oh how about reading the transcript of the Tent peg interview when it was first posted? Oh wait, those are Anne McCaffrey horror stories, not fan Weyr ones.
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 12 when the renewable airforce came out. I'd been in fandom less than a month. It was tramamtizing and I almost quit because I had wanted my twinky candidate to Impress a blue but didn't really understand what it meant to be bisexual so I wasn't comfortable writing it. (Hey, I was a sheltered preteen!) I almost left fandom for good!

I missed the tent peg interview. It seems to have disappeared and seems taboo in some fan circles. When did it come out?
Stacy Dane
katiehollands
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tent peg is taboo in most fan circles because it is really, really offensive. Still, it was an actual interview, even if the Anne McCaffrey team has been working their little tails off to see that all copies are destroyed. Which is why I keep a copy of the most offensive snippet. Education is important, so here it is:

Anyhow, it's a combination of this section of an interview transcript between Anne McCaffrey and somebody (the full transcript has been pretty systematically removed from the 'net-- I wonder why):

"A: The situation will arise where two males will enagage in sexual activity. Greenriders, have to be homosexual.

Q: Some fandom Weyrs choose to seperate sexual tendencies and flight related sex experiences...

A: Let me stop you right there, there is no seperation. Two men engaging in sexual activity with one another are gay. The dragons choose based on their own drives.

Q: *audible pause* *sounds of paper rustling* But, uh, some people say one experience, especially under the control of outside forces dosen't really make you *emphasis* gay.

A: It's not a matter of the rider *emphasis* becoming homosexual. Green and blue dragons choose people who are already homosexual. And even if circumstances arose, and a green dragon chose a heterosexual lifemate... Well, he would become homosexual. It's a proven fact that a single anal sex experience causes one to be homosexual. The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in effeminate homosexual males. For example, when I was much younger I knew a young man who was for all intents and purposes, heterosexual. He was mugged, and involved in a rape situation involving a tent peg. This one event was enough to have him start on a road that eventually led to him becoming effeminate and gay.
Marasai
Candidate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I somehow managed to escape reading that during the whole '97 debacle and in the years since. I got very militant during the whole business -- and to this day won't join any group that attempts to tie sexuality to dragon colour -- but man, if I'd read that....

The woman is a headcase, I swear. And I think that for the good of the fandom, copies of that sucker need to be kept in safe places to remind the newer McC-worshipping types that Anne really DOESN'T know all.... Wink

--
Marasai
Rach
Candidate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one weyr I'm in has decent players and personas....but....one character has a green dragon, a gold flit, and a bronze wher.
Gwierth
Weyrling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Rach
This one weyr I'm in has decent players and personas....but....one character has a green dragon, a gold flit, and a bronze wher.

OH GOD!!! ::shudders::

Oh lord...that's what the tent peg interview is. Wasn't sure for a moment, I forget the specific mention, and I also only have read that for even the first time in the last year.

Things that make you want to shoot someone for being *dumb*... *eye-rolling*

oy vey!
Perry & br Tranith
Ronnie Cole
Belle Moore
Liam Murphy
Gwierth
Weyrling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a Weyr that I eventualyl left for lack of interest because it was, well, too damn hidebound! My personal favorite incident - they took writing WAY TOO seriosuly. Like, percentages and lots of other crap. It sucked. And I guess I failed to fulfill my reqs on quarter or whatever, so suddenly my greenrider as transferred. NOw, granted, this was in the rules, don't fill the reqs, get transferred. But, you know, something like a last-minute warning/reminder that said more than oh you're behind, and said something more like...hey, you're about to LOSE this peron might've been nice!

Razz
Perry & br Tranith
Ronnie Cole
Belle Moore
Liam Murphy
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Rach

Wow! Whers aren't really pets! How'd she have time to take care of him? Where'd she keep him?
Stacy Dane
Rach
Candidate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow! Whers aren't really pets! How'd she have time to take care of him? Where'd she keep him?

I'm not really sure. She doesn't ever rp with him....what baffles me is that a persona like that got through the BoD
Crystal
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm .. Weyr horror stories. *taps fingers on desk* Let's see. Well...

Scene: pre-Pern's Renewable Airforce. I'm serving as adjunct on a BOD of (let's call it) Some Weyr. Now, Some Weyr has a reputation among fans for being extremely, ah, paperwork-intensive. There are files for _everything._ Someone has done a crazy amount of research to write all these files and keep them updated. If you want _anything_ approved it has to come with the appropriate forms filled out -- double-spaced, 12-point font, stapled with a single staple in the corner. That sort of place. So if you wanted to do something radical and anti-canon, you'd probably have to make it through ten pages of paperwork first. Not really a liberal, rule-breaking Weyr.

So one day Some Weyr's BOD is tossing out a bunch of silly ideas, and someone wonders, hmmm, is it possible, at all, by the laws of Pernese science, to have a female Impress a bronze dragon? (Apparently they hadn't read D'Dawn recently, and neither had I. So sue us!;)) We figured, hey, why don't we ask? We wouldn't want to get in trouble for it, after all. So we mail somebody official (ahem) and recieve a reply that basically amounted to this:

"DEAR GOD NO! NONONONONO! BRONZES WILL NEVER IMPRESS FEMALES! In fact, HERE's something to PROVE IT! (*sound of Pern's Renewable Airforce being slapped onto Some Weyr's BOD*) And on top of that, YOUR CHARTER IS REVOKED! THAT will teach you to ASK QUESTIONS!"

So for the longest time, I thought Some Weyr had provoked Pern's Renewable Airforce, which only after that started spreading visibly over Fandom. ;) I'm still not convinced we didn't, really...
Cass
Wingrider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious...being new to fandom but not Pern...what were the '97 rulings all about? And what is this Pern Renewable Airforce everyone refers to? Was it a specific event??

Clueless & blonde to boot...
Calline & gold Efrath
Rio & bronze Ardeth
Morgana & green Rasharth
Nebula & brown Rheith
Sinjian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Renewable Airforce was a document written by Anne McCaffrey that appeared online late in 1997. (Oh my, has it been that long already?) It caused quite an uproar and I believe several clubs were closed as a result. I did a Google search and found a copy of the original document. Be warned, it can be offensive.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/2726/ammsg.html
Stacy Dane
Cass
Wingrider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'd heard this mentioned a lot both here and over at the Kitchen Table forum, so it's good to read the original.
Calline & gold Efrath
Rio & bronze Ardeth
Morgana & green Rasharth
Nebula & brown Rheith
Sinjian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Silmaneero
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty...ah, severe document. o.o I suppose I can understand her getting ticked with some of the things happening, but it seems that she likes to keep a pretty tight lock on *everything*.

...wee, now I'm afraid that someone's gonna come along and yank the Charter out from beneath my clubs. o.o;; Wee, paranoia is fun.
Cicero and gold Vikoridath
Marcus Kita
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late ninties were scary times! Everyone was really paranoid someone would not like what a club (like if they allowed female brownriders, for example) was doing and then go tell Anne about it, then worried she'd shut down fandom for good.
Stacy Dane
Crystal
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's true, but then, feeling in danger lent a bit of a charming roguish air to some clubs, didn't it. *sniffles* Ahhh, nostalgia...
VoodooWeasel
Candidate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a horror story, just annoying.

My first club with my first persona. She was, of course, a Mary-Sue. (Hey, I was young and stupid at the time.)

The club was having a rare hatching event and there were way too many candidates for the eggs. So they had us all write stories and send them in. I spent hours on my two page story, even having my mom proofread it to make sure everything was okay before I sent it in.

I guess the total Mary-Sueness showed up, because out of fifty people, I was one of three who didn't have a candidate impress.

The thing was, they sent me the rejection letter on Chrismas Day.
Scarrlet
Wher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Weyr fall apart because of the storyline and the fact that I felt that I was losing control. (that makes me sound so.. anal- but when you don't have control over your own character's fate after she really blows a big one (causing maximal injuries in Threadfall cause she's an idiot)) But I swear, every Weyr I'm part of gets this tendency to creep along at a snail's pace. I mean, I love the weyrs, but they end up on the same day for 5 months.. *L* That made no sense...
Ariel
Brown Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that problem with fuzzy time clubs! Stuff gets really drug out. Fortunately using a fixed date system forces things to keep moving, since the story progresses into a new IC month with each new real life month.
Stacy Dane
Sarah S.
Fire Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still belong to a more or less defunct club that's been floundering around in the same week since I joined a couple years ago. Sigh. And I have such nice 'sonas there, more's the pity.

Linnea and Cherrith
Zack and Heligrath
Will and Tauroth
Vivid
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was playing at Peninsula Cliff Weyr and ran into the worse pern player in the history of pern. . When I joined PCW, i had a brown riding female named Niu on Nydith. She was the weyrling master for PCW.

The first thing I can into was a greenflight in which the green only allowed a certain blue to fly her. That was fine... until the draconic ORAL SEX started. Oh yes, I was horrified that this blue was sticking his tongue in ...well you get the picture. Keep in mind they are in flight.

Second, during the Senior Queen's mating flight a week later the very same blue caught the queen. He began to mate when he lost his grip. A bronze caught her in the end, but she still made her blue, her BLUE, the WeyrLeader of PCW. And in the end a gold queen was born on that clutch between those three dragons.

Not only this, but my Weyrling master happen to hear her weyrling talking about going to eat drunk with his bronze dragonet! When my persona confronted him, she wrote up the weyrling attacking the Weyrling Master, nearly beating her to death and the WeyrLeader (also hers) did nothing. Eventually my character was stripped of her rank and I left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Landing Forum Index -> Pernicious Pern All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: