Upper Deck Entertainment Forums

Upper Deck Entertainment Forums
Welcome to Upper Deck Entertainment Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Multiple chains in the battlestep.

Last post 10-11-2007, 1:20 PM by Curtis Schultz. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-06-2007, 1:51 AM 880671

Multiple chains in the battlestep.

If I were to attack with my Zaborg the Thunder Monarch, my opponent activates Magic Cylinders and I negate it with Solemn Judgement, is it possible for my opponent to start a new chain with Waboku, preventing the damage?

If so, instead of Waboku, could they activate Sakuretsu Armour?
  •  10-06-2007, 11:09 AM 880899 in reply to 880671

Re: Multiple chains in the battlestep.

Answer:

Waboku - Yes.

Sakuretsu Armor - No.

When a monster declares an attack, the game allows for one Chain to be built that responds to the declaration of the attack. This is the opprotunity for cards that activate in response to the attack, like "Mirror Force" and "Sakuretsu Armor". After this Chain has resolved, or if both players decide that they do not want to activate effects in response to the attack, the opprotunity to activate cards like "Mirror Force," etc. is lost.

Effects that do not specifically activate in response to the attack can still be activated during the Battle Step, like "Waboku".

Curtis Schultz
    UDE Netrep
    CurtisSchultz_Netrep@hotmail.com
    "Removing your finger. That's a good power, Uncle Glen. I must have it..."
  •  10-08-2007, 3:04 AM 883217 in reply to 880899

I have another question related to this subject:

Is it possible for the turn player to activate a card outside of the "in response to an attack" window?

For example:

I attack Mobius with my Zaborg.
    My opponent does not respond.

If I were to play Enemy Controller targetting Mobius they still have the opportunity to respond with Sakuretsu Armor.

So would it be possible for me to not activate anything, and then start a new chain with Enemy Controller, preventing them from activating Sakuretsu Armor as it is no longer "in response to the attack"?
    Or if I did not respond then would the attack be required to go continue?

What if I were to play Jar of Greed, my opponnent has not response, so I resolve it. Could I then start a new chain with Enemy Controller?
  •  10-11-2007, 1:20 PM 886423 in reply to 883217

Answer:

When an attack is declared, the Turn Player can retain priority to activate effects. At this time they are free to activate cards that perform an action when a monster attacks or any other effect with timing they can meet.

If the Turn Player decides that they will pass, their opponent is given a chance to activate effects that respond to the attack (Sakuretsu Armor, Mirror Force, etc.) or any other effects with timing they can meet.

If the Turn Player passes, and the opponent passes as well, the chance to use effects with like that of "Sakuretsu Armor", "Mirror Force", "Magic Cylinder", etc. is GONE.

Now, the Battle Step doesn't immediatly  fast forward to the Damage Step. Players can still activate effects in the Battle Step. However, at this point  it is too late to use cards that need to respond to an attack. "Enemy Controller" or "Book of Moon", for example, would still be possible at this point.

Now what happens if a Chain is activated in response to the attack declaration and the attacking monster survives the Chain? For example, the opponent activates "Sakuretsu Armor" and the turn player uses "Trap Jammer" to negate it. Can the opponent begin another Chain with "Mirror Force"?

The answer is no. There is only one Chain that can be used to respond to the declaration of the attack. When this Chain resolves, or is completely passed on by both players, the Battle Step will only allow for Chains that don't involve cards that need to respond to an attack.

Situation 1:

Turn Player attacks with a monster. Their opponent activates "Sakuretsu Armor". Turn Player chains  "Trap Jammer". The Chain resolves and "Sakuretsu Armor" is negated.

The opponent wants to activate another copy of "Sakuretsu Armor".... but they cannot! The Chain that could be used to respond to the attack has passed. It is no longer possible to activate cards like "Sakuretsu Armor" in response to this attack.

Situation 2:

Turn Player attacks with a monster. Their opponent activates "Sakuretsu Armor". Turn Player chains  "Trap Jammer". The Chain resolves and "Sakuretsu Armor" is negated.

The opponent wants to activate "Book of Moon".... and they can, because "Book of Moon" doesn't need to respond to an attack. That Chain has passed, but additional Chains can still be created during the remainder of the Battle Step.

Situation 3:

The Turn Player declares an attack. They ask their opponent if they would like to respond, and the opponent says "no". The Turn Player wants to activate "Magician's Circle".... but they cannot! The chance to respond to the attack is over and done, because both players passed. If the Turn Player had wanted to ensure the activation of his "Magician's Circle", he should have retained priority and activated it when he declared his attack.

Situation 4:

The Turn Player declares an attack. They retain priority to activate "Magician's Circle". The opponent responds with "Seven Tools of the Bandit". The Chain is resolved, and "Magician's Circle" is negated. The chance to activate effects that respond to the attack declaration has passed.

The Turn Player decides to activate the first effect of "Enemy Controller", selecting the monster he was planning to attack. The opponent responds with "Ring of Destruction", to destroy the target chosen by the Turn Player. Neither player activates any further effect, so the Chain is resolves. "Ring of Destruction" destroys its target, and "Enemy Controller" fails because its target was removed by "Ring of Destruction".

Now that the attack target has been removed from the field, a replay occurs. The Turn Player must now redecide their attack.

Curtis Schultz
    UDE Netrep
    CurtisSchultz_Netrep@hotmail.com
    "Removing your finger. That's a good power, Uncle Glen. I must have it..."
View as RSS news feed in XML