Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Powerflex Poly Bush install and Arm refurb, By Chris at Center Gravity
Offline AquilaEagle
  Posted: Apr 28 2007, 08:10 AM
· · · Quote Post
Admin
Group IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup Icon

S2KI User #: 18211
S2KI Age: 6 yrs 162 days
PPD Average: 36
Owner
2002 Silverstone/Black-Red
Milton Keynes
UK -

Last weekend I went up to Center Gravity to see Chris and Jayne, and also to get my long awaited suspension arm refurb and, bush replacement with Powerflex poly bushes done. What a long weekend it was! But well worth it...

Photo

I arrived on Friday evening after work at Chris' unit and we almost immediately started work on the car. The task for Friday was to strip down the car and get all the existing arms out.

Chris had laid out a set of wishbones he'd sourced from Furbers together with all the poly bushes on the floor, in the shape of the S2000! This pic is from the rear of the car.

Photo

The bits in detail:

Rear O/S
Photo

Rear N/S
Photo

Front O/S
Photo

Front N/S
Photo

The Packaging from the Poly Bushes:
Photo

We got the car up on the Ramp:
Photo
Photo

And prepared the basic set of tools.
Photo

In addition to these tools, we also needed the ball joint splitter, and later on discovered we also needed some more heavy duty instruments! biggrin.gif

So it was now time to start getting our hands dirty!

--------------------
"Please take good care of your S2000, keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2000 with many friends so that the legend of the S2000 will continue for long." - Shigeru Uehara - Chief Designer, S2000 - 12th April 2009, Trentino, Italy
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Email PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahooMSN  Ignore
Offline AquilaEagle
· · · Quote Post
Admin

Owner
Milton Keynes
UK -

After pulling on our latex gloves, the wheels came off, and we started on wheel number 1 (Front O/S). Removing the split pins and undoing the nuts.

Photo

Using the ball joint splitter to release the hub from the upper and lower wishbones:
Photo

Photo

Once the hub was held in place, you can see here the state of my Castor adjustment, the bush has split as well as seized!:

Photo

So out came the hacksaw!!
Photo
Photo

After a lot of sawing and swearing the bugger came out - it was well and truely fooked!
Photo
Photo

(This was the worst side for seizures, so it is a good illustration!)

Next was the Camber adjustment, which was also seized on this wheel. For this Chris had to get really angry with the angle grinder! (but it made some cool photos!)

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

We repeated this process for each wheel on the car (with less cutting on the other wheels, as some weren't seized). We gave up on the rear O/S as it was late plus we were tired and hungry! We went back to Chris and Jaynes, to be greeted by a mental dog and a lovely pizza. drool.gif

Offline AquilaEagle
· · · Quote Post
Admin

Owner
Milton Keynes
UK -

Up early on Saturday morning and back to the workshop. The S was still safely stuck up on the ramp, and we got the last wishbone off, giving us a full set of upper and lower wishbones, all laid out nicely on the floor, ready to be wired brushed and coated.

Photo

Sideways (rear is at the left of the pic):

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

An electric drill with wire brush attachments was used to rub down all the metal, and we removed the remaining bushes using various cutting methods, and a 10 ton press:

Photo

(Be very careful if you use a 10 ton press, 10 ton of pressure can fire a metal wishbone fairly far, and it hurts when it hits your arm! biggrin.gif )

All the bushes removed:

Photo

Next we read the instructions on the "POR 15". POR-15® is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.

Photo

This stuff is lethal - do NOT get it on your skin - it is very hard to get off when wet, and if it dries the only thing that will get it off is time! It has to be poured into another container and the lid replaced (with cling film between the lid and the tin otherwise it will not re-open! We used a plastic cup - this is not advised, it ate the plastic cup gradually and when I was holding the cup the paint went all over me as it burned a hole in it - on my jeans and soaked through to my legs! (I washed it off immediately but am still a little stained!) So we found an old jar and used this!

We used disposable paint brushes:
Photo

I then coated all of the suspension arms and hung them up using cable ties to dry. It takes 3-5 hours to dry, we left them overnight.

Photo

Offline AquilaEagle
· · · Quote Post
Admin

Owner
Milton Keynes
UK -

The next morning the arms were all nice and dry, and ready to have the new bushes put in them. We laid them out again, together with nuts and bolts...

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

The next job was to re-bush them all. Each bush is made up of the polyeurthane (sp?) outer, and a machined metal inner 'collar'. We coated each outer with copper grease and pushed them into place. Then the collar was copper greased and inserted into the purple outer. Each bolt was also greased and pushed in and out of the collar to grease the inner. (No squeaks required!)

We discovered that you have to be careful to have the thin side and thick side of each of the poly bushes the right way round... Thick part outside, thin part inside... A polybushed arm (this was before we noticed the thick/thin issue!):
Photo

And all of them complete:
Photo

Now it was time to re-assemble. This was the most straightforward of jobs. Poly bushes on the Anti Roll bar first:
Photo

And then the suspension arms:
Photo

This is the now newly done version of the most knackered one above!
Photo

We didn't quite get finished by Sunday night due to a slight hitch (powerflex had supplied an incorrect sized collar for one of the rears (to fit M12 not M14) so Chris had to get this on the Monday, then he set the car's geo up. This was a dream to do as everything was fresh, and it all moved!

He delivered the car back to me this morning, and I got new rear boots on it.

How is it? It feels like a new car - My dampers feel a bit lazy, as they are 151k miles old now, so I really want to upgrade my springs and dampers (I'll probably go for Bilstein ones). The car feels great though, it feels a very slightly bit harder, i can feel the bumps, but it is very comfortable, and now my geo is spot on it is a dream to drive.

So, am I the first poly bushed S out there? If you have seized bushes I would highly reccommend this route, rather than forking out £300 per wishbone from Honda. Chris should be able to do a suspension arm exchange program now, and as soon as details are available I'll let you all know.

smile.gif

Offline AquilaEagle
· · · Quote Post
Admin

Owner
Milton Keynes
UK -

Caveat to the above posts - I've not checked any of the technical details with Chris, and as you know my technical knowledge is not the best! So I apologise in advance for any errors, please let me know if you spot any, as I have written this up from my memory!

I do hope some of you find it useful.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Offline Amuse Boy
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 10:20 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 4526
S2KI Age: 7 yrs 280 days
PPD Average: 2.9
Owner
2002 Berlina Black/Red
Do You have a HoNda?
UK -

Looks like you have both done a great job! thumbsup.gif

However whilst you were at it you should have cleaned the wheel wells tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image

Email PosterUsers WebsiteMSN  Ignore
Offline Paper Lawyer
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 10:40 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 13580
S2KI Age: 6 yrs 275 days
PPD Average: 5.4
Owner
West Midlands
UK -

QUOTE (AquilaEagle @ Apr 28 2007, 05:10 PM)
Up early on Saturday morning

This stuff is lethal - do NOT get it on your skin

My standing around for an hour waiting for you both says it wasn't an early start...

I have por15 on my elbow from a week ago-it does take some time for it to come off! No signs of skin reaction though.

--------------------

Email PosterMSN  Ignore
Offline eSeM
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 11:01 AM
· · · Quote Post
Gold Member
Group IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup Icon

S2KI User #: 6281
S2KI Age: 7 yrs 182 days
PPD Average: 16.7
Owner
2001 Silverstone/Black
City Of London/Knebworth
SQ -

QUOTE (AquilaEagle @ Apr 28 2007, 04:10 PM)
So, am I the first poly bushed S out there?

No! There are a few others that have had it done.

I would also have had it done but Chris informed me that he was unable to obtain a complete set of poly pushes.

I haven't heard from him since.

frown.gif

--------------------
Silverstone, 02 Hood, 4.625 Final Drive, Rotrex SuperCharger, AEM EMS, 5Zigen: Miracle Fireball Exhaust, Berk: Hi-Flow Cat, Mugen: Steering Rack Bushes, Thermostat, Rad Switch, Manifold, Pedals, SS Wing & MF10 Wheels (with AVS Sports), Toda: Cams & Springs, ACT: Clutch, SARD: Fuel Pressure Regulator & Gauge, Hondata:Intake Manifold Gasket (& Coolant Bypass), Wilwood: Front Brakes Kit, Nitron: Sport Shocks, Cusco: Anti-Roll bars, Rear Brace, Powerflex: Poly Bushes, Megan Racing: Anti-Bump Steer Control Arms, Spoon: Throttle Body, Plug Cover & Lightweight battery, NGK: IFR8H-11, J's Racing: CF Bonnet, Damper and Tower Brace, Buddy Club: Bucket Seats (Bride rails), TAG: Clock, Koyo: Radiator, Samco: Hoses, Z-Tec: Camera Mount, Muz: Mats & X-Brace, Amuse(ish) Lip, JDM Ti Knob ICE: Alpine CDA-7894RB, CHA-S634, KCE-865B, JBL P62's (Front) P42's (Rear).... Polished by TangoMan

Other Toys:YZFR1
, KTM Duke II 640                                  Photos on flickr

Email Poster  Ignore
Offline AquilaEagle
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 11:51 AM
· · · Quote Post
Admin

Owner
Milton Keynes
UK -

He now has a second complete set, the only bush that Powerflex have not yet developed is the castor adjustment (I think?) but he's giving them one so they can engineer it.

Offline AquilaEagle
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 11:52 AM
· · · Quote Post
Admin

Owner
Milton Keynes
UK -

QUOTE (Paper Lawyer @ Apr 28 2007, 07:40 PM)
My standing around for an hour waiting for you both says it wasn't an early start...

I said we got up early, not arrived early biggrin.gif

Offline Beardie
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 12:04 PM
· · · Quote Post
STFU

S2KI User #: 17121
S2KI Age: 6 yrs 192 days
PPD Average: 8.1
Owner
2004 New Formula Red/Black
Lanarkshire
SQ -

Excellent write-up Feathers.

--------------------

Email PosterUsers Website  Ignore
Offline Blurter
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 01:50 PM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 18883
S2KI Age: 6 yrs 143 days
PPD Average: 2.7
Enthusiast
Nr Bolton, Lancs
IT -

iagree.gif thumbsup.gif

--------------------
07 M Roadster, Imola Red

Had 5 glorious years and 60,000 miles in an S2000 GT, Silverstone (the cleanest colour) Full Red Interior. 18" Oz Superleggeras with carbon centre caps, Goodyear F1's, Invidia Hell Raiser 18lbs (32lbs saving), Ricks Header 12lbs (6lbs saving), 4IG CAI Howler, J's Racing T1-R De-cat, Premium Red Muz Mats, Removed Honda Badges, S Plate, Silver Fusion Repeaters, Blue Vision Side Lights, 04 Radio Door, Alpine 130A Rear Speakers, Custom Clear Windblockers, Red Interior Ambient Lighting, Nordschleife Sticker, Stelvio Sticker, Mille Miglia Sticker, Scuderia Sticker, Imola Autodromo Sticker, IN/OUT Temp Gauge & Clock, Navman iCN650, a pair of shoes with a compass in the heel (and toe), and visited 14 countries.
Meets Attended - SM3, SM4, SM5 (France), JAE, MM1, 2 & 3, Arran 1 & 5, Woolly Bollard 1, 33 meets in total, + Academy Day, Nurburgring, Oulton Park, Donnington.
Mrs Blurter had - 02 CTR, Silver & 05 CTR Red. Now has 06 BMW 120d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Drive slow........so I can keep up!
Dream Car - NSX-R, Wet Dream Car - 599 GTB Fiorano
IT'S NOT WOT YOU DRIVE, IT'S WHERE YOU'VE DRIVEN IT THAT COUNTSuser posted image

Email Poster  Ignore
Offline A7DY W
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 02:06 PM
· · · Quote Post
Group IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup Icon

S2KI User #: 55821
S2KI Age: 3 yrs 90 days
PPD Average: 2.2
Enthusiast
East Yorkshire
UK -

Great write up AE thumbsup.gif

Chris obviously giving 100% as usual. I may be up for this next year when I let Chris loose on mine again!!

Andy smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Email Poster  Ignore
Offline j8mie
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 02:20 PM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 56940
S2KI Age: 3 yrs 60 days
PPD Average: 5.2
Owner
2002 Spa/Indy Yellow/Black
There's no "i" in toast!
EN -

Thanks for sharing the info Ian, and posting up the photos.

Speaking to Chris today on this subject was very interesting, and seeing first hand just how stuck these bolts can get was a real eye opener.

--------------------
user posted image

"Good old Columbo. Just the one technique of course. Still, shits on Quincy."
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room"
"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum"

Defi gauges install BYS lowered seat rail Removing dash trim My Mugen Bling

"Welcome to the superb Honda S2000" - J Clarkson

user posted image

Email PosterMSN  Ignore
Offline Vixen
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 02:27 PM
· · · Quote Post
Group IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup IconGroup Icon

S2KI User #: 29920
S2KI Age: 5 yrs 248 days
PPD Average: 6.8
Owner
2000 Silverstone/Black-Red
In the sea or loony land
EN -

QUOTE (Blurter @ Apr 28 2007, 09:50 PM)
iagree.gif thumbsup.gif

iagree.gif again biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Ignore
Offline Boulders
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 02:38 PM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 48462
S2KI Age: 3 yrs 324 days
PPD Average: 0.4
Owner
2003 Imola Orange/Black
Suffolk
UK -

iagree.gif nice write up! Am glad that we now have an option other than going through Honda thumbsup.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Email Poster  Ignore
Offline P 1
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 02:55 PM
· · · Quote Post
Gold Member

S2KI User #: 32416
S2KI Age: 5 yrs 128 days
PPD Average: 1.6
Owner
2003 Suzuka/Nurburgring Blue/Black

UK -

thumbsup.gif Nice write up Ian.
The service to be had from Chris / Center Gravity is first class.
Should make a good few owners a lot less nervous about suspension issues.
My CRX was rejuvenated with new bushes all round, so I know what a difference this will have made.

--------------------

Users Website  Ignore
Offline Jaeger
Posted: Apr 28 2007, 03:58 PM
· · · Quote Post
Gold Member

S2KI User #: 32390
S2KI Age: 5 yrs 129 days
PPD Average: 2.6
Owner
2001 Silverstone/Black-Red
Near Blackpool
SQ -

QUOTE (AquilaEagle @ Apr 28 2007, 07:51 PM)
He now has a second complete set, the only bush that Powerflex have not yet developed is the castor adjustment (I think?)  but he's giving them one so they can engineer it.

Ian,
Not pulling holes in your extensive, informative and again keeping a sense of humour throughout write up.
Interesting read.

Just want to clarify, did you have all the bushes done or all but the castor bushes (which was the one Chris attacked with a hacksaw)?

Email PosterUsers Website  Ignore
Offline Chris Type R
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 12:14 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 12082
S2KI Age: 6 yrs 308 days
PPD Average: 8
Enthusiast
North Herts
ZA -

Nice write up - has there been any discussion re. potential cost for doing what you've had done ?

--------------------
July 2008 - Current - '99 Alfa GTV 3.0L V6
MY00 - July 2002 to July 2008 - 66000 happy miles
user posted image

Ignore
Offline Paper Lawyer
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 01:07 AM
· · · Quote Post

Owner
West Midlands
UK -

QUOTE (Jaeger @ Apr 29 2007, 12:58 AM)
Ian,
Not pulling holes in your extensive, informative and again keeping a sense of humour throughout write up.
Interesting read.

Just want to clarify, did you have all the bushes done or all but the castor bushes (which was the one Chris attacked with a hacksaw)?

The latter, which is the most troublesome bush. Hence I didn't buy powerflex bushes a couple of weeks ago to press into mine using a friend's press. With Chris's excellent efforts that issue should be resolved and a cheaper and less hardcore option to the bushes offered by j's racing et al should be available smile.gif

Email PosterMSN  Ignore
Offline mugen888
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 01:26 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 52028
S2KI Age: 3 yrs 213 days
PPD Average: 0.8
Owner
2000 Berlina Black/Red
london, Edmonton, Enfield
HK -

how much would a poly bush upgrade cost compared to getting a new set of arms from honda

--------------------
MODS:Mugen ECU, Mugen manifold, Mugen cat-back Exhaust, De-cat, Bride RED bucket seats,thermostat, Spoon thermo switch, Spoon windscreen sticker, Volk CE28n, Seibon MG style bonnet Seibon MG style wing, Spoon gear knob, cusco brake cylinder brace, Samco radiator hose

To be fitted: Walker style front lip spoiler, Veilside side spats/skirt

user posted image

Email PosterMSN  Ignore
Offline Paper Lawyer
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 01:38 AM
· · · Quote Post

Owner
West Midlands
UK -

QUOTE (mugen888 @ Apr 29 2007, 10:26 AM)
how much would a poly bush upgrade cost compared to getting a new set of arms from honda

The list price of a single wishbone is £250...

Email PosterMSN  Ignore
Offline mugen888
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 01:42 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 52028
S2KI Age: 3 yrs 213 days
PPD Average: 0.8
Owner
2000 Berlina Black/Red
london, Edmonton, Enfield
HK -

thats 8 arms plus labour ? ouch

Email PosterMSN  Ignore
Offline Nottm_S2
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 02:01 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 33387
S2KI Age: 5 yrs 90 days
PPD Average: 3.1
Owner
2001 Silverstone/Black
Nottingham
UK -

so what did it cost all in? not a cheap job by the looks of it eek3.gif

--------------------
man-horns and a big fat HKS - just iron out the flaws, don't get carried away :D

user posted image...

Ignore
Offline Dembo
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 02:03 AM
· · · Quote Post

S2KI User #: 51954
S2KI Age: 3 yrs 215 days
PPD Average: 3.9
Owner
2000 Silverstone/Black
Banbury, Oxfordshire
UK -

QUOTE (mugen888 @ Apr 29 2007, 10:42 AM)
thats 8 arms plus labour ? ouch

4 arms, the uppers don't cause problems in the same way.

I could be tempted by all this, but you really want the poly caster bush too. Using somebody else's bush doesn't sound ideal.

(Yes I know that sounds a bit rude. biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. Whiteline 30mm front anti-roll bar. Whiteline 30mm rear anti-roll bar. Whiteline adjustable droplinks. Megan Racing toe control arms. Anti-bump steer steering rack spacers. Mugen steering rack bushes. Mugen caster bushes.
Chassis: Whiteline front upper and lower braces. Cusco Rear upper and lower braces.
Brakes: Dixcel FCR carbon front disks, plain rear disks. Dixcel Type Z front pads, R01 rear pads. Goodridge braided hoses. Genuine Cusco master cylinder brace.
Engine: JDM 245bhp. Spoon injectors. Spoon baffled sump.
Driver: 1st Lotus (x2). 160 laps Nürburgring Nordschleife.
user posted image

Email Poster  Ignore

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Subscribe to this topic | Subscribe to this forum | Download / Print this Topic