Railroad.net

Return to the Rail Travel Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o Amtrak Travel

Posted by J.Bauer (JBauer1066@AOL.com) on Thu, Apr 12, 01 at 22:09

We are considering a rail trip from Phila. Pa to Dallas, Tx. Actually, Phila to Chicago, then Chicago to Dallas. We haven't used rail travel for many years; are wondering how good or bad it is currently. At one time traveled aboard the Braodway Limited to Chicago, but that was many years ago. Questioning accomodations, comfort, food, general enjoyment of this travel mode today.If this trip goes well would plan to use same to go from Phila.Pa to LA, Calif.later this year. Would appreciate any honest comment and feedback.
Thanks,
JHB

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Amtrak Travel

The Philadelphia - Chicago train has minimalist accommodations: a snack car and 50-year old "Heritage" sleeping cars. I'd recommend going to Washington and taking the "Capital Limited", which has a more scenic route and Superliner equipment (which is only 20 or so years old). The "Texas Eagle" also has Superliner equipment.

By all means, get sleeping car space. The "deluxe" bedrooms on the Superliners are reasonable space for two adults, and have a tiny, private toilet room that also serves as a shower stall (sink and vanity are separate, and located in the room). "Economy" rooms are fine for one, very tight for two. The "Family" room has four beds, two of them short ones for young children. All accommodations except deluxe rooms have toilet/shower down the hall.

Meals are included with the room price, and they have really gotten much better in the last few years. On a trip to West Virginia last November, I had a prime rib on the train that was actually MUCH better than the prime rib I ate two nights before at an Outback Steakhouse.

Be prepared for very spotty service, however. Some train crews are absolutely wonderful, doing everything they can to make "guests" (Amtrak's word for passengers) feel comfortable. Other crews range from neutral to actually surly (I once watched a coach attendant tell an elderly woman with lots of luggage, trying to board the train, "inside to your left, and up the stairs", making no other move to help).

FWIW, I had a wonderful crew the last time I rode the "Eagle", but that was ten years ago.

Anyway, give it a try but don't expect hotel-quality accommodations or service. Trains are a wonderful way to travel, though, and you might enjoy it anyway. I do, and despite the occasional bad experience, I keep coming back for more.

I concur with Mr.Resor. Going by rail is a wonderful way to travel. And I also agree that accomodations (sleeper car service) for such a long trip are almost a 'must'.
I've travelled by rail in decades past just a few times.
Great memories from each trip. However, after about a 10 year hiatus from rail travel, I treated myself to a long, circuitous trip through the northeast and on to Dallas, TX. It was wonderful.
I believe AMTRAK is on top of their game. I was impressed with the level of friendly service, convenience and just plain fun AMTRAK provided. Also, the equipment on most of the trip was very impressive, quiet and new. (Whomever designed that suspension system for the Viewliner cars needs to be 'Knighted').
Also, there's nothing like eating a meal in a diner. A restaurant where the view constantly changes. Beats the bejeebers out of those revolving eateries at the top of tall buildings.
I had such fun that I've changed my vacation plans this year to allow for an AMTRAK trip from Chicago to Seattle to San Francisco and back to Chicago. All with accomodations.
Train travel is what it is. The accomodations are rather tight. The delays can be a bit of a headache. But, if you treat it like something of a 'land cruise' it can be a wonderful and relaxing travel experience with just enough adventure to keep it interesting throughout.
Have a great trip!

Other options....take the 3 Rivers to Pittsburgh, change to the Capitol Ltd for the overnight segment to Chgo....then on to the Eagle. Or ......go to DC then take the equally scenic Cardinal to Chgo. I have travelled both and enjoyed both tremendously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

Return to the Rail Travel Forum