Login

Not a member yet? Click here to register!
Username:
Password:

CVG NETWORK

CVG
Games Radar
Edge Online
PSW Magazine
PSM3 Magazine
PC Zone Magazine
Xbox World 360 Magazine
NGamer Magazine
PC Gamer Magazine
CheatStation
Next-Gen.biz
Official XBOX 360 Magazine
Forums
Xbox 360 trumps PS3 in Japan
View previous topic - View next topic  
Underdose
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 11:59 am Reply with quote

Xbox 360 - 17,673
PlayStation 3 - 17,434

I'd hardly call that 'trumps'
hollywood111
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 12:02 pm Reply with quote

it is for the 360!!!.... maybe they are bored of waiting 4 a descent game to come out too?... Wink
teeps1981
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Personally i dont want 360 to succeed in Japan. The Japs are all so much better at gaming than us and i dontwant there being even more people on live who can trouce me at VF5
Rob S London
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 12:12 pm Reply with quote

What's more shocking is that 155 people bought a GameCube - Why?
vectra
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Just goes to show what can be done with the right game. If MS release a Dance Revloution game of some kind and some more RPGs as well as MMO titles watch the 360 really kick off in Japan.

The sales for MG has finally started to heat up, just what I wanted to see Razz
spooney100
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Rob S London wrote:
What's more shocking is that 155 people bought a GameCube - Why?

Thats is shocking, but who the hells still buying gameboys?
Petebrolly
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Underdose wrote:
Xbox 360 - 17,673
PlayStation 3 - 17,434

Doesn't "trumps" just mean "beats"? Don't panic...
nb_nmare2
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 1:29 pm Reply with quote

hollywood111 wrote:
it is for the 360!!!.... maybe they are bored of waiting 4 a descent game to come out too?... Wink

Oh man, a new game in the Descent series for the PS3 would be sweet! Though one for the Wii would be even better - a 360 degree Metroid Prime type thing Smile.
pikachu
Kudos: 4

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Hi Hi,

I am currently travelling in Japan and was in Tokoyo last week and Osaka and Kyoto this week and I have been in a lot of retailors and travelled on plenty of trains and this I what I saw...no science behind this just what I saw with my own eyes so subjective, opionated etc.

Plenty of shelf space for the DS and PSP in the shops - I am surprised how many people I have seen playing PSP's on the JR lines to be honest. Mainly fellas in there teens or a bit older on the PSP so profile looks the same as the west imo, no girls playing it al all. DS I saw were being played by women and older guys as well as the odd teen. Really odd watching a housewife and an old guy play the DS and not something I have seen yet on the tube in London. Playing puzzle or learn somthing type games.

In the shops I have seen stacks of mario boxes and having advertisng and playing - definately the biggest game right now but have also seen that plane game ace something or other I think (which is also being advertised on Japanese TV very heavily) The plane game has a very dramatic trailor but I cant understand the Japanese so not sure why or who is shooting who but the music stirs the blood. It getting a LOT of promotion and must be costing a lot who ever is paying for that.

Few myth busters here...you can get a DS anywhere I have seen loads in any colour for as low as 13,000 yen which is very cheap and I have also seen loads of Wii's. I dont see any shortage of either anywhere. In a shop in Kyoto today (home of Nintendo) and they had a stack's of the buggers. Akihabara in Tokoyo had as many last week so no shortage so suggest you dont believe the hype on this one anymore (and if we can buy them in west why would there be a shortage in Japan - it makes no sense if you think about it).

Got to say Akihabara is also a hole - yeah it has a few cool shops selling old tack but its really is a dump.

Tokoyo is ace though and it does feel like blade runner at night as does Osaka - well worth a visit but the temples and countryside are what is bst in Japan imo.

Now as for the playstation 3 and 360....going by shelf space and prominance in the shops my view from twenty odd electronic shops I have visited is they are both about the same. Small.

The stupid eye toy game thing is being pushed heavily on PS3 - its on a TV screen / stand thing outside shops and is very loudly shouting something very important at passers by. The lineup of games on the PS3 looks about the same as the west - a few Japanese samuri / shogun type games I had not seen but the oblivons and the Lairs are there. he shelves do look tired.

The 360 is a bit harder to find but the shops must have been given a a cabinet or something because all have this huge 360 widescreen display about the size of a small caravan. Playing that plane game again this week. The shelves look a bit ropey as the PS3 with only western games and a funny rolplaying game that I have no idea what it was - sorry. To retiterate though it has about the same shelf space as the PS3 and is easily as prominant even if its not necessarily selling so the MS team are getting the product on the shelf.

The PS2 stuff them both by a country mile with enormous amount of space and advertising. The Japanese have a huge range of games we (as in UK) never get based on anime and manga mainly. Few EA games but the rest were really Japanese product not for export.

I picked up a few DS games - brand new �16 today but sadly had to leave the Mario as told the wii is region locked. Bugger.

Thats it really. PS3 and 360 tiny, PS2 King. DS and PS3 look about the same.

I own a PS3 and a DS and a rock laptop and would personally never buy a microsoft console because I dont like the way they do business ie. paying to go on th internet and buying up anything god ad making it exclsuive like halo from the pc. my money my choice but I say it because I think it only fair to say as far as the ps3 and 360 go it looks really open right now in Japan. Games are everything and xbox seems to hav ethose in abundance however Sony does look very safe here with the ps2 and the sony building in Tokyo had some amazing non gaming tech - bought myself and ace new camera and it blew me away so I wouldent right them off yet.

As for micrsoft blowing away sony I just dont see this on the streets - the xbox boxes are all launch boxes and tatty and the games have dust on them. Same as the PS3 - both are largely irrelevant it seems while the ps2 is still king followd by DS then Wii.

anyone here know if you can visit nintendo here in kyoto? I might make a visit. If you know your japanese cities it is also interesting that sony are based in Tokoyo and nintendo kyoto - huge cultural difference in the way you 'do' business in each city but maybe a post for another day.

Pika Pi
matthew_m_g
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 5:13 pm Reply with quote

vectra wrote:
Just goes to show what can be done with the right game. If MS release a Dance Revloution game of some kind and some more RPGs as well as MMO titles watch the 360 really kick off in Japan.

I thought that's what is happening with Microsoft striking deals for exclusive RPGs for the 360 and such. Very Happy
vectra
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 5:17 pm Reply with quote

matthew_m_g wrote:
vectra wrote:

I thought that's what is happening with Microsoft striking deals for exclusive RPGs for the 360 and such. Very Happy

They need to do more of it! It's as hard for an American console to make it in Japan as it is for an American car to make it over here in the UK Laughing

I'm sure you've seen what happens when Top Gear reviews an American car. Shocked
atrimus
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Petebrolly wrote:
Underdose wrote:
Xbox 360 - 17,673
PlayStation 3 - 17,434

Doesn't "trumps" just mean "beats"? Don't panic...

well, "trumps" usually means destroys, as in what the Wii is doing to both the 360 and the PS3 (though personally i don't see how, with its lackluster games). but a win for the 360 in Japan over the PS3 (even if its only marginally) is still worth noting, considering how dismal its sales have been. wouldn't necessarily say that Microsoft deserves kudos for this (they'd have to achieve this feat far more consistantly than merely one week for kudos to be given); but again, it is worth acknowledging
Mr Vengeance
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 9 Nov 07 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Shocked PSP is doing very well isn't it?
metallicorphan
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 10 Nov 07 10:01 am Reply with quote

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Shocked PSP is doing very well isn't it?

they have had some good games recently,including the final fantasy 1 and 2,ff:crisis core,silent hill origins and even metal gear solid port ops+

good time to buy one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: