The Archimedeans (Cambridge University Mathematical Society)
Message Boards
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Stopping spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rec53

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Stopping spam Reply with quote

No, this is not a polite message asking people trying to spam this forum to stop.

I am about to add a slight mod which in theory should stop the guest spam posting. It shouldn't affect normal guest posting/normal posting, but if anyone has any problems, please tell me!
rec53

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipeee!

It works, and I didn't just take down the entire board. It seems to take a little bit longer for the posting page to load, but it appears to work as intended.

Obviously we will have to see if our spammers agree (actually, there is no log being made, so in a way, we will never really know if we are successful)
rec53

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, spam continues to arrive. Perhaps it didn't work!

If anyone has any ideas on how to allow non-registered users to post without allowing spam through, please tell me.

I'm thinking picture verification for each post, but haven't been able to find a suitable mod, and don't know enough to mod myself yet!
kerwin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well-known (to appropriate people, espectially those in blogosphere) that adding picture verification won't eliminate spam posts.

The sure solution would be to lock the board, banning people who haven't got a crsid or posting inside cam domain (authorisation through raven?). Anyone using cam account to post any sort of rubbish should then be referred to IT Syndicate for misuse of CUDN resources (violation of rule #7, for instance).
rec53

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am being a bit of an idealist here.

Raven authorisation is certainly going to be used on this site at some point in the future, for the cam only part for example. It would be nice to keep the site open to guest posting though.

The current wave of spamming doesn't appear to be very aggressive, so my thoughts were that some picture verification would be enough to stop them. I did read somewhere about spam still getting past picture verification, but it would certainly limit it. I suppose that view explains why there isn't a great deal of talk about it, because it wouldn't work! (either that or my googling skills aren't what they used to be!)

There appears to have been no new spam for a couple of days, so perhaps the changes have stopped it, or at least slowed it down a lot. The eventual solution if it does continue will probably be a combination of Raven, cam-only, and a tight registration system for those outside Cambridge.
spam

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: spam Reply with quote

spam ji ji ji
LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Archimedeans Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum