Re[2]: Subject: RE: re vietnamese cultural values

I agree that the description of Consumerism among Vietnamese, while almost
offensively stereotypical, was indeed accurate.  My Vietnamese boyfriend lives
with his family (five people) in an apartment with five television sets, two of
them 30 inch; a karaoke machine; and, yes, a fish tank.  They also have four
cars.  I think forwarding stereotypes of any kind is ugly, but amusing and
amazing as it is, this description certainly fits my boyfriend's family.  I have
asked him about it, and he has explained how the family had so little in
Vietnam, that they enjoy buying things in America.  And yet somehow, they still
manage to save a great deal of money (he has well over $20,000 in a savings
account, yet only works a $7 an hour job, although he does work many many
hours).  Coming from that kind of life in Vietnam, I suspect I would go on the
same type of buying spree.  Heck, I find myself doing that even not coming from
that kind of life.  Both he and I found the description of consumerism quite
amusing.