Vietnamese consumerism

On trips to Vietnam I did not find the kind of sterotype that Minh
described, but I think that was partly because people don't have quite so
much money yet.  And, of course, in most Vietnamese cities now, the most
prized possession is the motorbike.  You cannot sterotype as easily when
talking about all the people in a given country, whereas immigrant groups
may be more likely to observe similar patterns of behaviour.  But it is my
observation that Vietnamese love music.  Perhaps that appreciation for
music could be listed as one of their three cultural values.  I think it is
part of their poetic spirit.  I live in Japan, by the way.  I only know a
few Vietnamese here.  They don't fit the sterotype either, but I think
that's because there's such an array of electronic goodies to indulge in in
Japan thay you find more variety in what people own.

Bruce

Sincerely...  Bruce Leo  Dauphin
o  If you haven't recently, check out my new web pages:
http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/dauphin

o  My address/phone no.:
Asai Nao 403, 278 Horinouchi-cho, Takatsuji-dori
Shinmachi Nishi-iru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600 Japan