Re: "Minh" on VN consumerism

Anonymous Poster wrote:

>    Just a few words on consumerism; wouldn't it be more appropriate to
> be a stereotype for those who are able to afford, rather than just
> vietnamse?

I hate to support the stereotype that is proposed (any stereotype
actually) but no, it is not a stereotype for those that can afford to
spend.  It is a question of priorities on which people spend their
available money.  And it seems to me that there is some truth in the
stereotype - i.e. Viet people do seek to obtain consumer durables as
early as possible.  I said it before - and so have other people in this
thread - this is understandable given the history of Vietnam over the
past 50 years especially.

Mike