Re: Racial remark

At 04:33 PM 3/15/97 -0800, Anonymous Poster wrote:

>Peter <email>
>03/13/97 10:56 AM
>
>My own thought is that you ought to seek out the manager of the gym and
report
>the incident to him.  It will probably matter to the gym whether the
remark was
>made by an employee or by a member/patron.  When speaking with the manager,
>specifically ask whether or not the gym has a policy regarding treatment of
>members that address a situation such as this.  If it does, ask to see the
>policy and ask what action the gym intends to take.  If it has no policy in
>place already regarding employee/member conduct, ask that one be adopted
ASAP.
>Follow up your meeting with the manager with a letter in which you once again
>report the incident; briefly describe the key  points of your conversation
with
>the manager, and list any key points upon which you did or did not reach
>agreement or a satisfactory resolution.

<snip>

>Hello netters,
>
>Someone at the gym used racial remark "gook" directed at me earlier
>tonight.  I was just wondering is there some organizations out there
>that I can report this incident to.  I am very fearful to go back to
>the gym for fear of being harassed.

The most important thing to do is to report to the gym management.  They'll
do some simple math; if the dues from this one jerk are less than the dues
received from all the people who quit the gym because of him then they are
better off telling him to leave.  Anyone coarse and stupid enough to call
an Asian a "gook" (haven't heard that one in years, I must admit) has
probably done similar things and pissed off others and been complained
about.  It doesn't matter how the management feels about AAs, only that the
idiot is costing them members.

At the gym I go to we had a pair or brothers, identical twins, big stupid
square-heads with blond beards who walked around, arms wide from their
sides, acting like they owned the place.  They would monopolize barbells of
which there was a single pair for maybe a half hour, then drop them on the
floor and cross the room.  When I picked them up ("finally") and wiped off
the beef-and-beer sweat accumulated, one of them came back and bellowed,
"Hey!  I wasn't through with those!"  and made all kinds of unintelligible
noises when I didn't return them to him at once.

I complained to the management.  Turns out it was the last straw; they had
done the same to others.  Gone.  And good riddance.

"When a man lies, he murders part of the world"
-- Merlin

"When the unreal is taken for the real, the real becomes unreal."
-- Tsao Hsueh-chin, Dream of the Red Chamber

"The problem with the wise is they are
so filled with doubts while the dull are so certain."
-- Bertrand Russell

Chris Fox
Woodinville, WA USA
>mark your calendar: 6/6/2012
>saya cinta Malaysia & Singapura
(206) 788-0825  home
(206) 994-7896  pager
<email> (home: ISDN 128K <-- primary)
<email> (travel: Internet cafes all over Asia)
IRC: SeattlTop               (EFNet & UnderNet)

<email>