Re: Frank Talk on Gay Stereotypes

> > > But believe it or not, your identity as being a gay person is dependent
> > > on what the gay community (i.e. gay men) is as a whole.
> > Sorry, Dave...I refuse to own up to that kind of victim-mentality.  Who

That's valid at a personal level.

> Think about this:  "your identity as being a '***' person is dependent
> on what the '***' community is as a whole."

This is a reality and a real constraint at a social level. Example would
be the model minority myth and the sweeping of problems confront youths
in the Asian community. Minority community faces the same challenge in
terms of fair representation. Till the media and the general population
possess enough exposure and understanding, each individual within the
community has potential to impact on the general perception.

Self-vicitimization seems to me the point at which one relegates the
responsibility of happiness to others. I certainly don't see how an awareness
about:

1. the interdependence between individual and group identities, or
2. constraints faced by a minority sub-culture against the mainstream culture

would constitute an advocacy for irresponsible behavior, warranting a label
of 'victimization.' I'd appreciate an explanation from Khoa and/or anyone
else. I simply don't see it and can't relate to the suggested characterization.

What we are talking about here's been a relationship between a *subset* of
experience and that which exists in general.  How does one establish a
meaningful communication between the two so that human ignorance would be
less of a compelling and determining force in human interaction.

Any philospher-psychologist in the house? :=)

Regards,