Re: Fw: Question #3

Anonymous Poster wrote:

> > in my family's case, my brothers can do/be anything they want and not a word
> > will be uttered against them.  their drinking, gambling, temper tantrums,
> > etc. are accepted because they're MEN.  whereas
>
> Accepted? Tolerated is probably the right word :-)  I don't see how these
> odious characteristics would mean an easier path in life, though. Can you
> explain?
>
> > on the other hand, if any females were to express their anger (justified
> > or not) toward an older male figure by throwing and breaking objects,
> > yelling and/or any other equally demonstrative ways, they would be
> > reprimanded or thought of as "going crazy"
>
> That qualifies as cultural expectations. One disfunctional mode of expression
> is equally bad as another. Why bother to wish for the other? :-)

you're right... tolerated it is.
in a small way, i do think that life would be easier if i could do away
with having to suppress whatever anger i have merely because family
tradition dictates that the women should always agree with what the
all-knowing men says.  or not having an opinion at all.  or half a
brain.  or "not womanly" emotions.  or whatever...
men can lash out (reasonably, of course) at anything and anyone and it's
o.k.  there's no fear of retribution.  but if a woman were to do it, the
consequences can be severe.  let me tell you a touching family moment...
i was angry at my sister for destroying my prized, one-of-a-kind
videotape.  i yelled at her, then stomped to our room and locked it...
refusing to let her in.  since this was the first time my parents saw
such anger in me, they believed that i was crazy and proceeded to have
me locked up... in a mental institution, no less.  no, i didn't throw
things, hit, etc.  only yelled.  warms the heart, doesn't it?
so, no, i don't wish to be a high rolling, beer guzzling, irrational,
psycho bitch.  christ, what an image!  but i would love to have the
option, though. :)

> > (personal family moment, indulge me :) ).  face it, guys have everything
> > going for them, while i have to fight to be heard.  you *can* hear me,
> > right?  hello?
>
> > besides, i wouldn't want to give up my fun little struggle for equality.
>
> Funny. I know someone who never saw life as a struggle for equality, but
> pursues life to the fullest and never failed to surpass any obstacle. We're
> talking about a Vietnamese woman of the previous generation. What gives?

i don't see life as a struggle for equality...  either you have it in
you or you don't.  my comment was only a peace offering to those psycho,
humourless feminazis who think all women need protection from the big
bad men whose sole purpose in life is to keep women down.

> See .. I hear ya. :-) Ya hear me? :-)

loud and clear!  thanks, buddy. :)

> Cheers
> KA