Re: making love language (Vietnamese or English?)

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Anonymous Poster wrote:

>  I DON'T attempt to actually speak even the most =
> rudimentary phrases, except for "Den doi la <my name here>."
It's "Ten toi la..." (with T's). Actually, it's not really "Ten toi
la....," as there are many little accents that go over the words, without
which you'd sound like a parokeet screeching embarrassing approximations.

>I speak =
> only the Vietnamese I've learned off menus in restaurants, and I speak =
> it so I can get the food I love and to convince the restaurant that I =
> really do want it with the bones and the viscera, just like a Vietnamese =
> would eat it, and not "cleaned up" for me because I'm a dumb Caucasian =
> who doesn't know how to eat.
You can really just point to the menu or say what you need to say in
English. The wait staff at those restaurants are not exactly stupid.

> And so I'll get nu'o'c ma^m instead of soy =
> sauce. =20
Go to the mirror, look at yourself, and say aloud: "fish
sauce, fish sauce, fish sauce."