A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] New Economy Bull, an expose

Mark, I put your query ("Is there some distinction  between 'GDP' and 'total
gross output' which
allows the latter to be almost double the former, in the same US economy?
What don't I get here?")
to Sean Corrigan directly.

Here is his reply:

GDP only measures final value  - retail tickets, if you like - plus a little
sliver of arbitrarily defined fixed investment - so in fact it is mostly a
Net Domestic Expenditure not a Gross Domestic Product.... but when you think
of all the people who sweat to put the stuff in the shops, they get missed
out... it's these intrafirm - or B2B, if you like - flows that are critical
since they account for gross, not just net investment, or circulating - not
just fixed  - capital if you prefer... this is the stuff of corporate
revenues and hence employee and shareholder incomes and the opportunity for
profits.... GDP doesnt measure these at all accurately.... Input-Output is
still way too crude, but its a magnitude or two more illuminating...

Best

Sean