A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] electronics and value

Melvin:
I agree with everything you have written about the indispensibility of the method of Marx and Engels in understanding human history.

You will note that there is something of a gap, currently thought to be about twelve billion years, between the appearance of the universe, and the beginning of that human history.....

The paragraph of the article I was criticising
was not discussing human history, nor Marx, but Physics.
Perhaps you will agree with me that , while Marxs' method of analysis is derived from, and confirmed by observation, this cannot be said about the assertion that "matter created consciousness"
This is a dogmatic speculation, an unprovable credo, not to be confused with the solid approach marxists
developed.... twelve billion years later.

I suggest this stuff does not belong in ideology.
It is Eurocentric because both sides of that great debate of the 19th century, Church vs.Rationalists/Humanists/Scientists...were so very European.It wouldn't, and didn't occur to either side to wonder what any other people might contribute to a discussion of matter and consciousness.

Let us recognize this intellectual baggage as an artifact of that period, and remove it from the altar.

Bob

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]