A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] Main Contradictions behind War on Iraq

"Let us assume that oil will be used up in the next 25 years, which is
impossible because there is no shortage. Then the basis of our current
technology or rather the energy source driving our current technology would
be compelled to shift to non fossil fuel sources. There is no immediate or
long-term shortage of oil on earth, unless one is speaking in increments of
times dealing with thousands of years.  The so-called hegemony of the US
did not emerge on or is based is based on oil. Nor is the capitalist mode
of accumulation of the wealth of commodity production based in oil."

Respectfully, Comrade, this is just wrong.

One, there most assuredly is an approaching crossover event in which demand
for diminishing energy sources will outstrip production - based on that
resource being finite.

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/campbell/commons.htm
http://www.dieoff.org/page131.htm

Two, there are no alternative sources of energy available or even on the
horizon that can replace the qualtiy and quantity of energy required to
sustain society in its current energy configuration, even if we were to
have a political revolution tomorrow.

Capitalism is based on self-expanding value, and given that we are well
into a stage of actually existing capitalist development that is
industrial, an industrialism based on captialist property relations, and
that that the scope and quality of industrial expansion under those
historical terms was materially made possible by the combustion of
hydrocarbons - for which there was no other earthly alternative - and that
the use-values that form the basis of the entire system are now all utterly
dependent of fossil energy - including food and water - and that technology
not only cannot *create* energy (the vast majority of our energy comes from
photosynthesis), it constitutes an aggregate of highly entropic technomass
that is an ever widening energy sink, this system DOES depend upon (though
not independent of social relations) fossil fuel.

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]