A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

RE: [A-List] FYI: Background on Iraq's MilitaryCapabilities

>I think he may be falling into the mistake of believing that
air power is the decisive factor in modern warfare.

Au contraire.  Politics remains the decisive factor.  But in Iraq!!!,
given all material factors that constitute the current situation, air
"superiority" is tactically decisive.  I'm no cheerleader for the
efficacy of bombing.  It is primarily used to destroy infrastructure and
attack civilians.  But a tank working in cahoots with an airplane will
defeat a tank without one every time.  And air superiority means slow
moving, low flying tank busters like A-10's of DU fame can shoot tanks
like fish in a barrel, often well before they are within range of an
adversary.  And air superiority means you can fly around and conduct
reconnaissance with near impunity, while those without it are
blindfolded.  It matters.

The Iraqi military does not have either the morale or the leadership of
FRY.  After politics, I have always maintained that leadership is
decisive.  I am on record saying that Afghanistan was an abject military
failure for the US, and that it will become a second Somalia.

There is no such thing as (generic) "modern warfare."

Now I really am going to bed.

Best, y'all.

Stan

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]