A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

[A-List] Scotland: dead-end nationalism

More evidence of the sad decline of the SNP since the resignation of Alex
Salmond from the leadership. Both leading factions are now committed to an
anti-Europe rhetoric borrowed entirely from the British empire loyalists
they are supposedly striving to escape.

Swinney faces revolt

By Douglas Fraser, Political Editor
The Sunday Herald, 8 June 2003

Alex Neil, who contested the SNP leadership against John Swinney three years
ago, yesterday raised the standard of revolt .

As more than 300 people met at the SNP national council in Perth to debate
last month's election setback, the Central Scotland MSP demanded the party
move back to the left and ditch plans for a referendum before achieving
independence .

Neil described last month's result, which left the party with eight fewer
MSPs, as 'disastrous', saying the campaign was demoralising and the party
'gave the impression at times of being only interested in the small
percentage of voters who make up the business community, while ignoring the
95% who are ordinary punters.

'We have to offer a radical economic and social agenda that is capable of
transforming Scotland into a fully employed and poverty-free country.

'A detailed, well-researched independence programme can put fire into the
Scottish belly and ignite the political heather in a way that adherence to a
devolution agenda could never do.

'It could put to rest the suspicion that the SNP has been moving to the
right in the last few years, another cause for worry amongst our activists
and many of our traditional core voters'.

One activist from Glasgow, Bob Scott, is understood to be close to having
enough nominations to challenge Swinney's leadership at the party conference
in September. However, his stalking-horse approach is not being seen as
leading to more serious contenders entering such a contest. Some party
branches are also preparing motions to challenge the referendum policy at
the conference.

Party leader Swinney said he made no apologies for the referendum policy.
'It was essential,' he said. 'It couldn't be ducked. It had to be done
because we needed to prove that in a devolved Scotland there is a clear,
unchallenged route to punch our way from devolution to independence.'

Swinney also opened the door to co-operation with other parties wanting
extra powers for the Scottish parliament. But he slammed it firmly shut on
those who want to ditch the policy of seeking to reassure voters by
promising them a referendum before moving to independence.

Swinney will also set course for the European elections a year from now,
with the most strident rhetoric the party has used against control from
Brussels in the 15 years since it adopted its 'independence in Europe'
policy. 'In the elections next year, let's tell Europe, loud and clear, that
at last Scotland is going to stand up for herself,' Swinney said. 'And let's
tell the Scottish people that the SNP is the party ready, able and
determined to do that job.'

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]