A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] Greenspan's remarks

Greenspan also said:

“With respect to the question (of) large holdings of U.S. Treasuries,
which both the Chinese Central Bank and Japanese Ministry of Finance
have accumulated, in an endeavor to suppress rises in their currencies:
at some point one must presume that they will stop doing that, and
perhaps even start to sell. The notion that that’s going to have a
significant impact on the American interest rates I think (is) a little
overdone in that central banks – indeed all reserves by official
monetary authorities – tend to be short-term maturities. They have to
have it for liquidity purposes.

And as you know, the short-term maturity market in dollars is huge, and
at least for a time, it’s locked into the federal funds rate that we at
the Fed initiate. I’m not saying that we could keep that locked in and
that it wouldn’t matter no matter how much goes in (foreign central
banks sell), but it’s not going to have an immediate effect largely
because the size of both the private instruments and governing
instruments in the short end of the market is huge, and it would take a
great deal to have made a difference.

I’m not saying there will be zero effect, there will be some effect,
there almost has to be some effect. But those who are concerned that the
effects are large, because they are thinking of the long-term 30-year
bonds, or even 10-year notes being sold in huge volume into the market
having a negative effect: that’s not what we are dealing with.”

In simple language, Greenspan is saying that the ability of central
banks to dictate to the currency market is very limited, as George Soros
has found out with the Bank of England. When the JOB buys dollars to
keep the yen from rising, it is essentially giving money to hedge funds,
money that Japan earns from its trade surplus.

The Japanese economy began to stagnate in the early 1990s because its
national goal of export became dysfunctional after the Cold War. The
introduction of central banking in 1998 reduced Japanese banks to
financial basketcases in a liberalized financial market, instead of the
healthy service institutions in support of a national policy of export
under a national banking regime. Under central banking and a liberalized
global financial market with floating exchange rates and full
convertibility, the price to be paid for having trade surpluses
manifests itself in a rising yen. This in turn causes domestic general
deflation in Japan.

Japanese policy of keeping the yen's exchange value lower than that
dictated by market pressure has now become an attempt to eliminate
domestic deflation. But a below-market yen leads to a larger trade
surplus in dollars, causing a net shrinkage in the yen money supply,
thus shrinking the yen asset economy, leaving it with overcapacity and
making yen assets less valuable. What Japan is doing is investing in the
dollar economy while disinvesting in the yen economy through its trade
surplus. This is the real cause of deflation in Japan.

To restore strong economic growth in Japan, deflation needs to be
stopped. Under a central banking regime, the most straightforward way to
stop domestic deflation is to force the yen to depreciate in
foreign-exchange value. But this would go against market forces
generated by Japan's trade surplus. Yet if Japan keeps the exchange
value of the yen low merely to sustain its export prowess, it will
continue to feed domestic deflation. This is because the rate of
shrinkage of the yen economy from a huge trade surplus denominated in
foreign currencies, mostly dollars, is greater than the rise in yen
money supply released by a reluctant central bank.

Domestic deflation can be stopped if there are more yen chasing after
the same amount of yen assets. But more yen in circulation will lower
the exchange value of the yen. A low yen in turn will increase Japan's
trade surplus, which, because it is denominated in foreign currencies,
mostly dollars, is a mechanism that transforms yen input into dollar
output, reducing the yen money supply. This reduction of yen money
supply increases the amount of under- or non-performing yen assets,
reducing their market value.

Japan's trade surplus contributes to increase in the US dollar money
supply. Normally this would push down the value of the dollar. But
dollar hegemony forces the Japanese and other trade-surplus nations,
such as China, to finance their trade surplus with a capital account
deficit in favor of the dollar economy. This expands investment in the
dollar economy and pushes up the price of dollar assets and pushes down
the price of yen and other non-dollar assets. Thus dollar hegemony keeps
both the exchange value of the dollar and the price of dollar assets
high, while other non-dollar economies must choose between a weak
currency and domestic deflation. China is insulated because the yuan is
not fully convertible. When the US Treasury allows the dollar to fall
against the yen, it is in fact condemning Japan to more domestic
deflation through yen appreciation, if all else remains unchanged. By
allowing the dollar to fall, the United States is in fact exporting
deflation.

To stop domestic deflation, Japan not only needs to inject more yen into
the yen economy but it must also keep the yen in the yen economy by
reducing its trade surplus without shrinking its economy. This is
because the trade surplus coupled with a capital account deficit is
leaking yen into dollars faster than the Bank of Japan (BOJ), the
central bank, can inject more yen into the yen money supply because of
the so-called liquidity trap. Thus Japan needs to shift its historical
national role by changing its investment policy from one of promoting
ever-increasing export for trade surplus in dollars that are of little
use to the Japanese yen economy. Japan needs to adopt a new national
goal of developing and expanding the global economy, particularly the
Asian economy, from which the relatively overdeveloped Japanese yen
economy will derive sustainable expansion in tandem.

Henry C.K. Liu