A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

[A-List] Fallujah Cannot Even Bury Its Dead

www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0420-12.htm

Published on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 by the Inter Press Service
Fallujah Cannot Even Bury Its Dead
by Aaron Glantz

BAGHDAD - The story of Yusuf Fakri Amash is the story of
so much of Fallujah. The 11-year-old boy just managed to escape
from the town with his family. But not before the U.S. military
killed his best friend.

"Ahmed was in my class," he says. "He was younger than me.
He was standing next to the wall of the secondary school and was
trying to cross the street. He was hit by a bullet. The American
troops fired the bullet."

So many Fallujahans have been killed by the U.S. marines that
residents have had to dig mass graves. The city's football stadium
now holds more than 200 bodies.

"When you see a child five years old with no head, what can you
say?" says a doctor in Fallujah whose name is being withheld for
his safety. "When you see a child with no brain, just an open
cavity, what can you say?"

The doctor says many were buried in the football until it became
full. "When you are burying you cannot stay long because they
(the U.S. marines) will just shoot you," he says. "So we use the
shovel. Just dig a big hole and put a whole family in the hole and
leave as soon as possible so we are not shot."

Filmmaker Julia Guest who traveled to Fallujah in a convoy
delivering relief supplies told IPS that the clinic's ambulance was
fired upon twice by U.S. snipers -- during the ceasefire. The
second time it was fired on, it was carrying U.S. and British
citizens who had negotiated an agreement with the marines to
rescue the injured from an area under heavy U.S. sniper fire.

"It has blue sirens," Guest recalls, describing the ambulance.
"It's donated by the Kingdom of Spain. It was carrying oxygen
bottles, and the damage to the ambulance was such that two of
the wheels were blown off, so they were left without an
ambulance. And there are bullet holes all over the sides and
back from the second shooting."

The U.S. military does not deny shooting at ambulances. But it
blames the resistance fighters. U.S. marines spokesperson Lt
Eric Knapp says his forces have seen fighters loading weapons
into ambulances from mosques in the area.

"By using ambulances, they are putting Iraqis in harm's way by
denying them a critical component of urgent medical care," he
says. "Mosques, ambulances and hospitals are protected under
Geneva Convention agreements and are not targeted by U.S.
marines. However, once they are used for the purpose of
hostile intent toward coalition forces, they lose their protected
status and may be targeted."

Humanitarian aid workers in Fallujah say the marines have
been firing indiscriminately. Australian aid volunteer Donna
Malbun says U.S. forces fired warning shots over her head
Tuesday when she attempted to enter an ambulance to deliver
relief supplies.

"We were accompanying an ambulance from one part of
Fallujah to another area that was controlled by the Americans,"
she says. "And we went along with the ambulance, and at one
stage got out to indicate to the Americans that we were coming
through with an ambulance with aid for a clinic that had been
cut off."

They then used a loudspeaker to identify themselves, she says.
"We were dressed in bright blue medical outfits, and we had
our passports in our hands with our hands in the air. Then we
stepped forward into the street with our hands in the air. We
were walking down away from where the soldiers were
stationed. We didn't realize that. And they ended up shooting
toward our backs."

But it was not just the U.S. Army that caused problems for
Donna Malbun and her colleagues. She says that on their way
out of Fallujah her group was stopped by Iraqi Mujahideen
fighters who held them for 24 hours.

"They wanted to know who we were at the beginning," Malbun
says. "They investigated and they asked questions and looked
at our belongings, and once they realized what we were doing,
they treated us with great respect."

Donna Malbun says that the delegation was held in a large room
and fed well during their detention. British aid worker Beth Ann
Jones, who was also taken captive, says the topic of
conversation quickly turned to the U.S. assault on Fallujah
where the two groups found common ground.

"They would be talking and saying my brother's been killed, my
father's been killed," she said. "They were telling us details so
that we could understand the way that they were feeling, and
the obvious resentment they were feeling towards the
occupation. That they were now suffering, and a year ago they
were promised freedom and liberation from the Saddam regime,
and now they're living in a situation where they do not have any
freedom."

Back in the relative safety of Baghdad, Donna Malbun reflects
on her temporary captivity. She does not hold any anger
towards her captors.

"Fallujah was under siege," she says "and even the women and
children who wanted to leave today, and the men, couldn't
leave. And the bombardment from the air was constant, and
the sniper activity was constant to the point where they were
so terrified to leave their houses. These people were being
kept captive in their own town and country."

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]