A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

[A-List] China: Taiwan & the US military

>From the LRC.com Blog Today:  I realize the basis of the praise Lew Rockwell
extends to China does not suit A-Listers; however, the letter from Teri
regarding Taiwan, China, and US military bases should be of interest to
all. -A.

April 24, 2004
Letter From China
Posted by Lew Rockwell at April 24, 2004 11:34 AM

If neocons, protectionists, and armageddonites hate something, you can't be
100% sure it's great, but almost. China is no exception to the rule. This
great nation has made amazing progress towards liberty and property since
the horror of Mao.

Pictures of downtown Shanghai--which you will not see in our free
press--look like downtown Houston. There are stock markets, private
companies, private homes, private schools, and much more religious freedom.
Is there a ways to go? Of course, but the direction is heroic.

Thanks to the civilizing and prosperity-generating effects of trade, we get
great products at great prices. All hail Wal-Mart and other firms that
specialize in pro-peace trade with China.

But I have always been bothered by what seemed crazed nationalism over
Taiwan. Why the opposition to having it be independent in name as well as
fact?

Now, thanks to Teri, an LRC reader in China, I finally understand. She
writes:

Last week Dick Cheney was here flexing his mouth (er, muscles). The Yanks
want China to raise the value of the Yuan Renminbi in order to destroy their
prosperity, but I doubt that they will.
As for Taiwan, China will hold fast there, not so much because of face, but
because China does not want the USA having bases in their back yard and
rightly so. Now there is an American military buildup on Guam, so wouldnt
the USA just love to be in China.

I grew up in Vermont and I must tell you that the US is the most hated and
despised country because of the way they go into other peoples' countries to
destroy them and steal their wealth. Travelling around Cambodia, Vietnam,
and Laos was a real eye opener. What destruction there is there. Now also
there is Iraq. Bathed in blood, both Iraqi and American, just for the sake
of a group of born-again fanatics who are far, far worse than Saddam ever
was. Grab the oil and erase Islam from the earth.

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]