A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

[A-List] Brizola, Peronism and CPs

I adhere to J. Figueiredo's defense of Brizola.  Fully and
absolutely.  Those interested and with a knowledge of Portuguese may
well profit from some mails that have been posted on the Reconquista
popular list recently (same archive address as A-list, only replace
Reconquista-popular for A-list).

There have been a couple of interesting postings on Marxmail also.

J. Figueiredo is right in denouncing the role of the "left" (the anti-
national left as we know it in Argentina) when Gral. Golbery de Couto
e Silva could count on them to split the popular bloc and neutralize
Brizola, who was returning to the country after long years of exile.

Brizola, a Chávez before the time, or still better a radicalized
Perón, was the actual victim of the 1964 coup, lived in exile in
Montevideo until 1977 and then had to go to Lisbon before he could
return to his country.

As to Arg. CP, sorry, J.F., you are actually wrong.  The party was a
member (or acted as a member) of the anti-Peronist coalition of 1945,
and of the criminal anti-peronist coalition of 1976.  Comparison with
Menem does not serve your ends, specially because (a) CP, officially,
voted for Menem -not a great sin because Menem betrayed outrageously
his voters- but (b) they made every effort to break any would-be
serious national coalition against Menem in order to take them to the
rosy pink tank of the "progressive sectors", which ultimately lend
their vote to De La Rúa.

And this I know from personal experience, not from other people's
comments, because I was one of the members of the most promisory of
all those coalitions, the Frente del Sur of Pino Solanas.

BTW: Menem's programme, once he reversed his promises, was Menem's
opponent's programme.  In fact, the same Domingo Cavallo drafted the
programme of Menem's opponent and later became Menem's Minister of
Foreign Relations (as such, in 1990 he signed the Madrid agreements
with the UK which brought Argentina to its knees after the battles in
the South Atlantic) and finally, as M. of Economy, the "mastermind"
behind the suicide "convertibilidad" (currency peg) and the foreign
debt expansion which brought our country to disaster.

The most interesting thing, though, is that the CP's rank-and-file
voted for Menem's _opponent_, against the "party order".  A cde. of
mine was fiscalizing some voting places during those presidentials.
When a single vote appeared in the whole voting site with the
combination of tickets (prez, Congressmen, etc.) prescribed by the
Party, the CP fiscalizator himself ironized: "ah, here we have an
orthodox guy".

There are many reasons for this.  Believe me, dear J. Figueiredo,
there are few CPs with worst record than ours.  The 1955 coup was an
occupation coup, a coup that turned our own armed forces into an
occupation army.  The CP supported it.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro@fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822