A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

[A-List] IMF and World Bank boys in Russia

I can name a trillion reasons why Russians are so poor now.  Don't want
to be reactive and list the top 10 reasons, or even see the need to. The
whole reason I started subscribing to this list and other good economic
ones is because it was my goal to get ideas how to make the Russians
living in poverty have functioning local economies again.

Michael pointed out Kleptocrats are a big problem.  I agree.

Maybe the reason foreign investors keep coming is because there is so
much opportunity for growth here.  There is a big pot of gold shimmering
in the distance for anyone cleaver and ruthless enough to get it.  The
risks are extremely high.  I see often very rich people loosing their
pants investing here. I don't have any official statistics but  Research
George Soros, he's classic example of rich people loosing in the early
90's.  I don't have any official numbers of how many foreigners loose
here.  I hear probably forty failure stories for every success story.

My understanding is most multinational companies would love to see
Russians have more wealth and be stability.  Airbus only sells their
airplanes to countries that have good economies, where people have
enough money to fly.   LG would love for more people to buy their
products but they can only if people can afford it.  There is this
conflict of interest I think about all the time, where the companies try
to pay their workers the least amount possible vs. macro economists who
try to make it so everyone has a big wage. Their ideal is to see Russia
look like the USA, where the average per capa GDP is in the neighborhood
of $40,000/year.

Henry, I admire your mind extremely much.  I feel very honored that you
took the time to respond to my post.  Thank you.  I know very few people
in this country who haven't lost their life's savings once or twice
because of something unfair the WIPS have done.  Russian citizens
universally have very little confidence in banks or bankers, government
officials, or anyone with power.

 Furthermore I don't act like I have the whole system figured out. If I
had it figured out I'd be famous, and I'm not. From what I've seen,
anyone who claims they have it all figured out are lairs.  There are
analysts who get paid big money to tell us what is going to happen in
the Russian economy.  First of all for anyone to figure out what is
truly happening on this system made from deceptions inside of deceptions
inside of deceptions, would be a miracle.  Secondly they have a lousy
track record of  making accurate predictions.  Thirdly one person, I
think it was Curtiss Priest, made the observation nobody knows all of
macroeconomics, but some know more then others.

In Russia it's not controversial at all to say the big shots don't
always get their way.

-=Jeffa=-

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]