A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

[A-List] Maradona: "He who steals from a thief..."

People wonder many times why do we Argentineans equate Diego Armando
Maradona with God Almighty.

Of course, he was an enormous soccer (fútbol) player, and this would
be enough.

However, there is something else.

I am watching his TV show tonight.

He is explaining his first goal to the English team in 1986, which
everybody knew that was, er, not exactly a fair goal.  He did it with
his hand, and the English goalkeeper (Shilton) did not realize it, he
began to scream only when Fenwick (who had been elliminated by
Maradona) informed him that the goal had been made through a hand.

Then, Maradona says:  "Yes, we robbed that goal, but it was the
Englishmen, it was 1986.  The Englishmen had robbed us for centuries,
and had sunk the Belgrano in a war crime, they were still in the
Malvinas."  Then, he added a common saying in Spanish: "El que le
roba a un ladrón tiene cien años de perdón", that is "He who steals
from a thief has a hundred years of pardon".  Please take into
consideration that Argentina is only now beginning to emerge from a
wave of de-malvinization moves.  Maradona is loved because he says
aloud things people have no way to say.

BTW, now while I am writing this, a singer that he invited to the
show (a friend of his) is stating that the world is in the worst
condition today, with a powerful idiot ruling the most powerful
country in the globe.  And he proposes that "the whole population of
the globe can elect the President of the United States, since he has
the right to place a bomb at anyone's door".

That is why we love Maradona and yours truly the undersigned believes
that this man is the single acceptable indirect proof of the
existence of God.  Though he collected millions through his
abilities, he is still the poor boy in Villa Fiorito who loved to
play football.

And represents all those boys.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro@fibertel.com.ar