Re: Frank Talk on Gay Stereotypes

Dear Dave,

Perhaps my opinion wasn't well conveyed. What I'm trying to say is that
there has been an abundant display of integrity, tolerance, and
intelligence in this thread. The simple fact that you can be critical
about who you are say much about you.

I don't get the feelings that any one of us here is "condemning" others
as much as we are bringing up the issue frankly for recognition. *That*
alone says a whole lot, in my view. Though admittedly, criticism always
give out an interpretation that the critic is somehow judging/condemning.
It's an unfortunate idiosyncracy in human communication.

On role model, I'm merely expressing the fact that being a productive
person, abiding by values that don't hurt others, loving others, and
seeking to make this world a better place, etc.. seems to me a most
real gesture in terms of being a role model.

Most of our parents, I believe, are pretty ordinary, and it's undisputable
that they themselves are significant role models. That's the context of
my statement wrt to the general lamentation about the lack of models within
the community.

My stance is this: "each of us who loves and fulfills obligations to
ourselves and those around us is a role model." The role models ain't
that far really. Sometimes we overlook what's there in front or next to us.
(BTW, there's no suggestion about net-based identity being role model.
The comment refers to the unexciting ordinary nature of _real_ models as
related to their being and action in real life. There seems to be quite a
few of those in here, merely based on the ideas thus far conveyed. And thus
I wish to call to attention to that oft-overlooked fact)

Hope you don't mind me not signing again :) While anonymity has been made
an issue at times, let's drop that frivolity and listen to the viewpoints.