Re: ba'nh Chu+ng, ba'nh Da`y

> I'm trying to track down the earliest, written recording of the story,
> "Ba'nh Chu+ng, ba'nh Da`y." Can anyone on the list direct me to a source,
> Vietnamese or English, that would enlighten me?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the earliest extant written record of the
"Ba'nh Chu+ng, Ba'nh Da`y" legend is in neither Vietnamese nor English
but classical Chinese, from the 14th/15th-century collection Li~nh Nam
Chi'ch Qua'i, for which there are modern translations into romanized
Vietnamese and French but not English, regrettably.

Vinh Nguyen