A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] 'Peace in Middle East'

Chris Burford <cburford@gn.apc.org> writes:

> > We are at a turning point. Since our goal is the peaceful and full
> > disarmament of Iraq, we have today the chance to obtain through
> > peaceful means a comprehensive settlement for the Middle-East,
> > starting with a move forward in the peace process, by:
> >
> >· Publishing and implementing the roadmap.
> >
> > · Putting together a general framework for the Middle-East, based on
> > stability and security, renunciation of force, arms control and
> > trust building measures.
>

> So a general perspective for peace in the Middle East is already being
> proposed.

Coming from those quarters, I think it has as much to do with peace
for the people of the Middle East as the Oslo Peace Accords.  That is,
none.

First off, the goal of "full disarmament" of Iraq is NOT the way
towards comprehensive peace in the ME.  What that will do is create an
Iraq dependent upon Imperialist for it's defense against other
Imperialists -- please destroy the weapons we sold you so we can sell
them too you again or you can contract for our defense services.  It's
not Iraq's army that is a threat in the ME, it is the various foreign
armies (US/UK particularly) based in the region, as well as the US
client, Isreal, that is the threat.  These are the armed forces which
protect the oppressive oil kingdoms, that occupy Aghanistan, and kill
Palestinians daily.

The general framework they propose is that the uppity Arabs calm down,
and patiently wait for the fruits of enlightened European politics and
the economic partnerships that go with it.  In exchange they will go
to bat for the Arabs in the UN, and stand up to the bully. But, they
do not have the power to handle the real threats to peace in the
region, the US and Isreal.

There is only one real framework for Middle East peace, and that is US
OUT!  Germany OUT!  France OUT!  UK OUT!

--
Sincerely, Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
No war! No racist scapegoating! No attacks on civil liberties!

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]