A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] Saddam

Saddam's morality is not an issue in geopolitics, unless one takes the
pretext Bush uses seriously. On one level, all governments have moral
shortcomings.  The killing of political opponents is no worse than
causing the death of helpless victims through unemployment, sanctions
and war.

The issue is geopolitics.  When Bush says:"Those who are not with us are
against us," he is speaking not of a rhetorical threat, but of reality.
  Saddam is important for the simple reason that he, and he alone so
far, is standing up to US superpower domination, against the legitimacy
of the new notion of regime change based on a charge of being a "failed
state".

My previous post pointed out some possible scenarios for a geopolitical
struggle by a small nation faced with invasion by overwhelming force.

Not that Mao Zedong had anything in common with Saddam, but the CPC
faced similar military defeat in the 1920s, that drove its forces to
embark on the Long March, and went to the mountains and survived with
nothing except a political idea and was finally triumphant 3 decades later.

I don't know if Saddam has the stuff, but he has the option to continue
the struggle. When we support Saddam, we are not supporting tyranny
which is present in all governments.  We are supporting a struggle
against superpower hegemony.

Henry C.K. Liu