A-list
mailing list archive

Other Periods  | Other mailing lists  | Search  ]

Date:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Thread:  [ Previous  | Next  ]      Index:  [ Author  | Date  | Thread  ]

Re: [A-List] July 4 and the Marx vision - theory of AmericanRevolution 2

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:46:27 EDT Waistline2@aol.com writes:

> The Revolution of 1776 was big by any estimate. The  Revolution of
> 1776
> ushered in something new in human history . . . a whole new  epoch
> of political
> revolution under the banner of national liberation. National
> liberation meant
> more than "me and my country" being liberated from "you and  your
> country"
> because it happened in a very distinct economic and social  context.
>

> 1776 was big. 1776 birthed what would be called the  national
> liberation
> movement and this process of national liberation went on for
> another two hundred
> years. It reached its peak with the tidal waves of national
> liberation
> uprisings between 1940s through 1970s.
>
> It should come  as no surprise than many Americans have always
> supported
> national liberation  throughout the world as a lofty and noble goal
> and this
> included American  resistance to the reckless and criminal war
> against the
> Vietnamese. More  complicated reasons are involved in why a section
> of our bourgeoisie
> has always  fought against the closed colonial system that prevented
> their
> investment of  finance into all areas of the world.
>
> Nevertheless, 1776 inspired a  vision because it was a new thing in
> history.
> The French bourgeoisie and the  British bourgeoisie had a revolution
> to free
> themselves from the feudal estate  system and its political
> restraints that
> were based on serf and master and a  system of privilege when you
> did not have to
> proceed anything . . . but rather  has force and connections with
> owners of
> landed property.

And it should be noted that the American Revolution helped
inspire the French Revolution.  Lots of those young army officers
that Louis XVI sent over to help the American colonists
came back radicalized.  Lafayette was simply the most
famous of these officers.

> America  was different. America was founded as a capitalist colony.
> This
> meant that it  was owned by England and its supreme purpose in life
> was to ship
> goods and  resources back to the mother country - the Crown. For the
> first time
> in history  a revolutionary colonial revolt was bound up with the
> revolution
> against  feudalism, because the American bourgeoisie wanted freedom
> from feudal
> England.

I don't think I would accept that formulation. While Britain, then
(and even now) had some institutional holdovers from feudalism,
it was already predominantly capitalist. The English Civil Wars
and later events like the Glorious Revolution of 1688 established
the political supremacy of the bourgeoisie in Great Britain.

> The United States is perhaps the only country in the world, most
> certainly
> in the Western Hemisphere, that was never tainted with feudal
> economic
> relations. Canada was, Mexico was and everything else south of the
> border was
> tainted.

I would accept that.

> [...]
> War was a continuation of 1776.
>
> In the same sense  we can see in the growing revolution today that
> the
> subjective side of the  social process - how people actually think
> things out, is
> inexplicably connected  to the vision proclaimed by the Civil War or
> the "Second
> Edition" of the  American revolution. This vision could not and was
> not
> achieved. The vision was  mass democracy or a nation - not a union
> of people or
> distinct ethnic groups,  conceived in liberty and justice for all.
>
> What is democracy?  Democracy is the rule of the people and such
> rule must
> rest upon the ability of  the people to choice freely. That, in turn
> means
> independence or individual  freedom. Independence and individual
> freedom rests upon
> a person's secure access  and control over the necessities of life.
> If I
> depend on someone else for food,  shelter and clothing, then I am a
> person's
> slave. If I am compelled to do that  person's bidding to secure the
> necessities of
> life, then I am that person slave  no matter how democratic and
> subtle the
> command is.
>
> The ideas of  Jefferson democracy rest on this understanding. Hence,
> the
> demand for  independence provided by the small family farm and land
> ownership. The
>  Revolution did not achieve Jeffersonian democracy, nor did the
> Civil War.
> History seems to keep repeating itself on a higher and spiraling
> level and the
> social movements keep demanding the same thing under changing
> conditions and
> each time the demands of the vision of 1776 advances the
> revolutionary
> process.  In this sense there is a chain of demands from one
> revolution to the next,
>  culminating in the outbreak of warfare.
>
> The specific feature of  the unfolding social revolution in the
> American
> Union and how people are  compelled by their own history to think
> things out, can
> be traced back to the  vision of 1776 . . . and this is the modern
> theory of
> the American social  revolution.
>
> Marxism has never faired well in the American Union  for a complex
> of reasons
> grounded in our country as a country of immigrants. Our  history is
> extremely
> violent and revolutionary. Where else on earth has a  section of the
>
> bourgeoisie gone into Civil War with another section? The  agrarian
> bourgeois fought
> the industrial bourgeoisie in the bloody conflict.

You ignore Latin American which experienced a whole series of
similar conflicts between the agrarian bourgeoisie and the
industrial bourgeosie in the 19th century. These civil wars typically
took the form of clashes between the Liberal parties and the
Conservative parties in various Latin American countries. Unlike
the US where the industrial bourgeoisie emerged triumphant,
in Latin American, the agrarian bourgeoisie won most of these
civil wars. That difference in outcomes, IMO, has a lot to do with
explaining why the US quickly
emerged as the world's leading industrial economy after
the US Civil War, whereas most of Latin American fell behind
economically in the 20th century.